Deliberations

There were eight of us when the meeting had finally come underway. For reasons that are still unknown to me, Apollyon had allowed several days to pass between Elder Zulan's arrival, and the meeting we had demanded he return with us for. I could only assume it had something to do with the mounting and mobilizing force that had been assembling during the delay. It seemed that we were preparing for a siege, or at the very least a sizable expedition, yet Apollyon had said nothing to me about such a venture. I was her second, and yet I was no more informed than a common sellsword on my master's plans.

The only thing keeping me grounded was the presence of Captain Obadia, who was serving as my second for this meeting. Between Apollyon's secrecy, and my growing suspicions of both Mercy and Belial, Abel had become the only person I could truly trust, without any hint of skepticism. We were accompanied by the Elder and Siegemund, naturally. Apollyon stood across from them, the massive obsidian table seemingly untouched by torchlight. Belial stood at her right, while Mercy stood at her left. Our final member was a Warden by the name of Helia, though it was more accurate to say she had been one, before renouncing her oaths. She had long ago discarded their signature helmets, only a tattered orange and black hood that hid most of her features remained now.

Apollyon leaned forward, placing both of her palms squarely on the table. Neither Mercy nor Belial seemed to move.

"I will not waste our time here with idle chat." She said, addressing herself towards the elder.

"You are summoned here for one reason. Over the past several days, my warriors have caught word of your hamlet harboring legionless knights. Of them, a Conqueror adorned by a human skull, and a Warden, accompanied by a woman of song. Do you deny these findings?" She finished. It was a pointless question, everyone present was well aware of the answer, and the elder had made no effort to hide this from us during our questioning. Still, it was customary, and expected to allow an accused to understand the charges brought before him. It was something that separated us from other, more barbaric peoples. Elder Zulan breathed in deeply, and exhaled before he replied.

"I am familiar with your descriptions, my hamlet has indeed held these two you describe. I do not deny it." He confirmed. Siegemund stirred restlessly beside him, his fingers tightening around the hilt of his sword. It was admirable, how protective he seemed of his elder. It was also a feeble show of force, I suspect any man or woman in here would prove his better in terms of combat and swordplay. The best outcome would be for him to realize this as well, and set aside his aggressions. I doubted such a thing would happen, however. Across the table, Apollyon nodded, pushing up slightly and relaxing a bit.

"Good. That speeds things along." She began, pausing a moment before she continued; "How familiar are you with these knights that you harbored? Did they speak of their past business? Any former legion or allegiances?" She asked. Another question she already knew the answer to. Part of me wondered why she seemed intent on dancing around the primary concern here, if they were aiding and abetting an attempt to overthrow the Blackstone Legion. If this were such an attempt, we needed to end it as soon as possible. When the elder delayed in responding, I decided to fill in what Apollyon had left out.

"Both the Conqueror and the Warden were once warriors of the Blackstone Legion. The Warden deserted shortly after our siege on the stronghold of Svengard. The Conqueror deserted shortly after he learned of his survival. Both are traitors, and both must be apprehended." I explained. Beside me, I could see Obadia startle out of the corner of my eye. He turned to face me.

"The hero of Svengard yet lives? Sir, is it really wise to-"

"That is enough, you two." Apollyon said coldly. Despite her gaze never shifting from the elder, I could tell that she was displeased, though I couldn't for the life of me imagine why. The severity of this threat could not be understated, let alone left out entirely. If the importance of this meeting was to be understood, all of the facts needed to be in the open. This turn of events did manage to stir more of a reaction from the elder, as his eyes widened, and he placed his own palms against the table. I could tell immediately that he had not known, nor had his companion, who took a step back as though to balance himself.