The Approaching Vanguard

It was a scene of madness when I arrived back at the hamlet. Darkness had already fallen, but the closely packed torches and trees were lit with a blaze that revealed every inch of the battlefield clear as day, visible plainly to me from the hilltops. I heard my men and the militia long before I spotted them, scrambling to smother the flames with snow, cloaks, and furs. The riders fought against the panic of their horses, while the militia fought against the panic among their comrades. My mind began racing as I approached, early bits of snowfall slamming into the cold metal surrounding me. Had something gone wrong with the plan? Or had Blackstone carried out a scorched earth tactic in anticipation of betrayal?

Focus, I needed to focus. The circumstances had changed, but our goal remained, maintain as much of the militia as we could, retreat to the fort. Looking to the now burning tree line, I looked for any sign of Stone, praying he hadn't been consumed by the blaze. No sign of him, only the riders attempting to rally. Lady Claire's horse Lefer seemed cool as ice as I adjusted him, turning my attention towards the front gates of the hamlet. There, my fears were eased as I saw my friend, he was taking charge, ordering the militia with a series of points and gestures. In the distance, I could see a faint flickering of orange and red, approaching flame. And with it, Blackstone's first vanguard.

A plan began to form in my mind in a matter of seconds. I needed to rally the cavalry, disarray or not. Blackstone still wasn't expecting it, and we needed every surprise we could muster. Once Blackstone was sufficiently delayed, I could link up with Stone, begin the retreat, so long as Kharion didn't further complicate matters. After that, all that mattered was getting to that fortress. Cross was a skilled warrior and a highly effective leader, but even he would find taking a fort difficult with no siege weapon.

With a deep breath I readied my blade and urged Lefer onward, snow and dirt flying as we galloped as fast as possible to the battleground. The beating hooves nearly drowned out the sounds of chaos before me, only just failing to silence the shouts of confusion and fear. My senses had already felt heightened before my arrival, and now I could feel the familiar sense of alertness and focus return as time seemed to slow. My heart was beating out of my chest, and I admit there were elements of fear within it. But I was ready, and I was resolved to see this fight through.

"Warriors of the Iron Legion!" I shouted as loud as I could muster. Amid the roaring flame my voice carried and echoed, drawing the attention of several warriors. I quickly raised my sword in the air and held it as high as I could, waving it back and forth as I had Lefer pace in the center of the hamlet.

"Rally here! Rally to me, Iron Legion!" I shouted out, watching as several of the cavalry began to adjust, gaining their footing and making their way towards me. One by one they filtered in from the burning woods, snow bearing down harder now as the wind simultaneously accelerated and slowed the fire. Nearly a dozen warriors stood before me now, their horses pacing from hoof to hoof as their riders adjusted their reins and readied their spears. Others still rode towards the center, but even without a count, I could tell some were missing.

"We're with you sir!" Replied one, who I recognized immediately as Obadia. So new to his service, yet he was already so quick to heed my call. For both our sakes' I hoped that his remaining riders were okay. For now though, what I had gathered needed to suffice, and they needed their leader, and so I would be. I had Lefer pace back and forth, making eye contact with each of them as I rode, sword clutched firmly in hand.

"Warriors of the Iron Legion, Blackstone approaches, and our strategy has fallen. But we are not done yet!" I began, increasing Lefer's pace as I spoke. "We are sworn to protect Ashfeld and her people, and we will not let this fire burn away our resolve! I implore you now to ride with me, face the Blackstone Legion, and stand by our oaths!" I yelled, hoisting my sword aloft at the final word. A quick, but impassioned yell followed as the cavalry lifted their spears with me, signaling their unity in my mission. I quickly adjusted myself to face the entrance to the hamlet, focusing on the narrow path I could follow with Lefer, and that my cavalry could follow me through.