Epilogue

Epilogue
I have to say, it was a strange feeling seeing the colors of the Iron Legion hanging over my bedside as I strummed my lute. For so long that legion had been more of a joke than anything, abandoning anything that seemed even remotely difficult to win. I admit that I myself more often scoffed at their banner when I saw it these days. But this time? This time that banner filled me with a sense of pride, a joy I can't really describe. Those were Liam's colors, my Liam. I could hardly help but laugh at that... To think only a little over two months ago, I had only known the man as a random warrior I'd hired for protection. Now? He was my warrior. My Liam.

A sudden knocking at the door was enough to knock me out of my line of thought, not that I minded. I was only ever expecting one person to knock on my door these days. I didn't even bother to hide my smile as I set my instrument aside and stepped onto the floor below. Heck, I darn near had to fight myself not to jump in excitement as I took hold of the door and opened the thing. Sure enough, standing before me in a fresh, vibrant suit of green and yellow armor was Liam, minus the helmet, of course.

"Hello, Deborah." He greeted, his smile more than evident in the way he spoke. I couldn't help but be happy about that, knowing just from his voice that he was smiling. Let me tell you, that's a heck of a feeling.

"Well hello there, handsome." I said back, quickly ushering him inside. As I stood beside him and allowed him to walk by, I noticed him holding two things in his hand. The first was the knife I had given him to borrow some weeks ago, and I admit I was more than a little happy to see it. Don't get me wrong, I was more than willing to trust my man, but that knife was the last thing I had of my father's other than my lute. To say it was important to me was to be generous.

The second thing, however, was something I had never seen before. It looked like a small wooden box that you would keep jewelry inside of. For a moment the idea of it being a ring burrowed into my head, and I about had a heart attack. It was far too soon to be considering marriage, regardless of how much I cared about him. But I knew Liam better than that. He'd want to do this right, after we were fully comfortable with one another. So what was in that box, then?

"I see you brought a few things?" I asked, hoping to get a few answers out of him. We walked side by side towards the fireplace as he looked down to both items, his smile widening as he nodded gently.

"That I have. I meant to return your father's blade to you, and apologize for its delay." He said, gently turning to me and extending it handle first. I gave him a coy little smile as I took it from him, feeling the leather in my hands. Pulling it in, I took the knife about half out of its sheath and inspected it. To no one's surprise, the blade was immaculate, and even looked freshly cared for as it shined in the light of the fireplace. I felt a warmth in my heart as I observed it, which I honestly wasn't sure was because of present company, or the simple joy of having a small piece of my dad back.

"And, I hoped to gift you something new." Said Liam quietly. A gift, he said? Perhaps the box I'd noticed? Now I was really curious. After taking a moment to set the knife above the fireplace, I looked up towards Liam as I crossed my arms and leaned against it. Sure enough, he held the box just high enough for me to see, and I chuckled a bit in anticipation. The jerk had the audacity to open the thing slowly, as if he wanted to torture me with it. When he finally did though? I found myself speechless.

Inside was one of the most beautiful necklaces I had ever seen. It was a small silver pendant with two doves tenderly touching the tips of their beaks, wings stretched out as though they were soaring in the air. I couldn't even try to contain my gasp as I pushed off the fireplace, trying not to squeal. Where had he even found something like this? Still trying to keep composed, I slowly walked towards him and extended a hand. Liam, ever the gentleman, gently placed the box in my hands for me, and I held it as I shined in the dim glow of the fireplace.

"Liam this is... this is beautiful..." I whispered, barely fighting back tears. I knew in my heart it was just some silver, but I could still feel it beating out of control as I looked up at Liam. He only smiled as took my hand, careful to make sure the box didn't fall. As I stared into his eyes I felt nothing but adoration for the man before me, from that big, almost dumb looking smile to the gentleness of his touch, and that sparkle in his eye.

So, taking my free hand, I placed it on his cheek as I smiled back. I knew what I wanted, and I think he did too. So without a word, both of us closed our eyes, leaned in close to each other...

...And kissed.

The End

A/N Well. This was a journey, wasn't it? Thank you so much to everyone who stuck with this story, I genuinely hope you enjoyed it. I do have plans for more, but I think I need a break for a bit. It's been a heck of a year. In the meantime, God bless every single one of you. And truly, thank you.