x

Unlike what I had expected, I didn't hear any yelling as soon as I stepped inside the house. I went inside my room to check if I still had my clothes inside, who knows, she must have packed them, ready to kick me out. But no, everything was still in place, nothing missing. I put my bag aside before laying down. A bunch of texts greeted me when i checked my phone, everything was from Soohee.

Soohee:
was his parents home?
lmao gl
bet u'll come back with a missing limb
or a feet
maybe only half of ur body would come back
maybe none
check ur phone wtf
r u choosing ni-ki over me??
TRAITOR

Soohee:
you two okay now?
i texted ur mom saying that u'll be late since we're "studying" :))
study my ass
respond to me once u see this
if u're still alive, that is

Luna:
thanks for covering up for me
we're ok now :))
and i am still alive

Soohee:
too bad

I was surprised by how fast she texted me back. I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to figure out what she means. Does she mean it's too bad that Ni-ki and I made up?

Luna:
huh?

Soohee:
too bad u're still alive
kidding, you know ily

Luna:
I'M BLOCKING YOU

Soohee:
yeah? TRY ME THEN

I can't help but laugh as I talked to her. Eventually, I changed into much more comfortable clothes before saying goodbye to her as my mom was calling me downstairs to eat dinner. I sat down, waiting for her to get mad for some reason.

After a few minutes, she finally spoke, "How was your study session with Soohee?". It was not really the question I was expecting.

"Great. Soohee is a great tutor." I smiled as I continue to lie. "No matter how difficult the topic was, she made it seem like it was easy."

"I see." She nods as she takes a sip of her water. "You should really be like Soohee."

Here we go again.

"She's not just a really kind child, she's also intelligent. I'm sure her parents are prpud of her. I would be too, I'd be really glad if I had a daughter like her. "

I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces as I listen to my mother. She always made me feel like I was a disappointment, an unwanted child who brings burden into her life.

"I'm trying, mom." I whisper just loud enough for her to hear. It isn't a lie, I really am trying my best.

"Well, try harder. I don't see any progress, do I?"

I poked my food around, suddenly losing my appetite. I feel like I would burst into tears any second now. Trying to control myself from crying, I dug my nails unto my arm. I'm not gonna cry in front of my own mother, I know for sure that she'll make me feel worse.

I didn't finish eating my dinner. I waited for my mom to finish first and leave before throwing my left overs away. As I lay back down on my bed, I felt a tear roll down my cheeks. This is another night where I'll have trouble falling asleep.

***

"Hey, are you okay?" Soohee asks, placing  a hand on my shoulder. "You don't seem like yourself today, are you good?"

"Hmm? Uh, yeah. I'm fine." I faked a yawn. "I just couldn't sleep well last night." I said before she could even mention about how puffy and red my eyes were.

"You shouldn't have come to school today." She sighs leaning back.

"Then my mom would get mad at me." I chuckled.

"Oh right, I forgot about that."

I leaned on my chair to rest my back but instantly jolt back up when I felt a pair of hands placed upon it. "I am so sorry." I say looking back at Leo who was caressing his hands. "I didn't know you were holding on to my chair!"

"No, it's fine." He laughs slightly. "I'm alright, I swear. You can lean on it now." He smiles.

I tilt my head while examining his face. Something feels different about him today.

"What?" He asks, eyes wandering around as he tries to avoid my face. Eventually, he turns his head away from me.

I squished his face with both of my hands, forcing him to look at me. He seems shocked about my sudden action but didn't stop me.

"Aha! I get it now! You got a hair cut!" I say happily. "It looks good on you, I can see your face clearly." I say, ruffling his hair before turning my back on him.

"Thanks." I heard him mumble.

"Ow!" I say as I felt someone kick my feet under the table. Guess who it belonged to? Soohee. "What was that for?"

"Okay something is going on between you two." She says, eyeing me and Leo. "May I remind you that you have a boyfriend."

"Leo's my friend." I say, lowering my voice hoping that Leo couldn't hear it. "Just a friend. Nothing more."

"Sure but I hope he sees you the same way."

"What?"

She shrugged and pointed in front, hinting that class is starting. I didn't get the chance to ask her again, afraid that I might get in trouble. What does that even supposed to mean? Leo knows I'm with Ni-ki anyway, I'm sure he knows were supposed to be just friends.

***

"So, what happened yesterday? with you and Ni-ki." Jay says taking a seat next to Leo. Soohee and I both turned our chairs around to face them.

"We made up and oh, his mom loves me." I smiled proudly.

"Of course she does, Ni-ki talks about you all the time. Luna here, Luna there. His whole personality is practically made up of you."

"He does? That's...nice." I smiled, not really knowing what to say. I didn't really expect that he would tell his mom about me while I try to hide our relationship from my own mom.

"Hey, why are you turning red?" Even your ears are red." Soohee teases.

I untucked my hair to hide my ears and started to fan myself with my hands. "It's hot in here, don't you think?" I laugh nervously. "I feel like they should buy a fan, it's VERY hot in here."

"Even if you were inside a refrigerator or at the North Pole, I'm sure you would still be blushing." Soohee jokingly rolls her eyes.

"Hey you, emo guy, why are you so quiet?" Jay asks nudging Leo's shoulder. Leo looked back at him without saying a word. "You're a shy one aren't you?"

"Not when he's talking to Luna." Soohee raises her eyebrows, causing me to smack her arm.

"Stop that. And you," I say pointing a finger towards Jay "he's not emo, well, not anymore. Be nice to him and look, kid got a haircut."

"Oh right, I didn't even notice that. It suits you man." Jays says, raising his fist to fist bump with Leo but the latter didn't notice. "Alright." He says, fist bumping his self instead.

Soohee giggles. "Hey, wanna hang out later at the mall?"

"Can't, I think I'll visit Ni-ki again later. By the way, cover for me, you know my mother loves you."

"I know, by the way," She takes my arms, holding them tightly I can barely move them. "can you guys give me an idea on how to get rid of Ni-ki? I need my best friend back."

I tried to move my arms to smack her, pinch her, anything but she's too strong for me. "Can't smack me now, can you?" She smirks. I asked Jay and Leo for help which turned out to be totally useless since they just sat there and laughed at us.

"Okay how are you so strong?" I ask, still struggling.

"Oh honey, you're just weak."

I kick her feet, causing her to let go of my arm. She holds her feet and glared at me. "Who's the weak one now?" I say sticking my tongue out.