Battle Of The Mind Vs Heart

Sarah and Jake spent a major part of their evening texting. They just about general things and make fun of each other, as that seemed to be their method of flirting for some reason. Their conversation was flowing, and it seemed from both of them, that they didn't want the conversation to end. 

You're an idiot yuno-Sarah

Says you, I stole your shoes-Jake

Sarah giggled to herself. Earlier during their Costa 'date', she referred to it as she tried to kick Jake for calling her rubbish at Among Us and he decided it would be cute to steal her shoes. They both laughed it off, but Sarah kept thinking about it.

So mature of you to steal shoes, you're such a child-Sarah

I'm more mature than you. You're 5ft, you look like a child-Jake

You're talking to a child then. What does that make you? A nonce.-Sarah

...you win-Jake

They chatted for a little longer but Sarah decided it would be wiser for her to sleep. But sleeping tonight was different than it had been. She felt a bubbly sensation in her chest, it was odd. It was new. The only thing she knew, was that she liked it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks later...

The two of them had been speaking nonstop. Once a week in person during their Costa dates, and the rest of the time on their phones. Texting in between and even during their lessons. Whenever they got a free minute. 

They had connected on a deeper level so fast neither of them could understand. But they weren't complaining. They enjoyed having that person to talk to, the person they could tell pretty much everything to. 

Well, from Sarah's side, not completely everything. She had been keeping her not-so-healthy relationship with her parents a secret from him, to avoid him running off. The girl had embedded in her thoughts that no one could want to be with someone so damaged, with someone so broken. So, she didn't tell the boy.

It wasn't like hiding was anything new to her, there was only a tiny circle of people who knew what went on in her life, and even they didn't know the more explicit going on in her young life. 

What she and her friends would do, is essentially therapy in the mornings. Whatever was going on, they'd spill as much as they were comfortable to to make it easier to deal with. To essentially make them feel less alone.

"My mum had another kick-off" Sarah explained, it was a daily occurrence but this one had hurt more than it normally would.

"I swear I'd like to meet your mum just to figure out how she had an angel like you," Kali complained, making Sarah break a smile. Her first in a few days. It was one of the tough weeks where her mental health was getting the best of her.

Sarah had explained that her mother and father had been arguing all week and she was brought into each of those arguments. They'd been arguing over bills and money as they usually do, but this argument was a lot louder and felt like it had more hatred fueling it. 

Her parents had an arranged marriage in Pakistan when they were young adults, and Sarah could never see how they were still together. There was no love in their relationship, it was like they were only together for the sake of society and the classic quote that would be repeated in her household 'What would people say?'. 

So of course, she dealt with the consequences of their toxic relationship.

According to Sarah, they had been eating lunch together as her mum had brought up where the money was going for bills and her dad had lost it. He smashed his plate, was yelling at her mum and as she tried to intervene the two of them lashed out at her, and now instead of breaking up this little spat, it had increased in velocity.