Realisation

Jake was left, quite frankly, confused. He didn't understand why the girl had run, and now was regretting not chasing after her. He was a caring guy, who cared more about others than he did care about himself. So even though he had only known Sarah for a few weeks, it still made an impact seeing her so upset.

From Sarah's point of view, she just didn't want to break down in front of him. She hadn't mentioned any of her family problems or her mental issues, so if she had stayed, she probably would've broken down into tears.

Sarah made sure she took the longest path to get to maths, to make sure she avoided Jake. As she entered the classroom, the entire class was already there. She plastered her fake smile on and walked straight to Zoey, and instantly threw herself into a conversation to forget about her encounter with Jake.

The lesson for both Sarah and Jake went quickly. They both kept giving glances at each other and both of their thoughts were all over the place. Let's just say, neither of them was focused on work.

As the lesson came to a close, Sarah hid behind Zee to avoid having to speak to Jake. But the boy was having none of it.

"Can I have a word?" He asked, but it was more like he was telling her they were speaking.

Zee stared down at Sarah since she didn't see this coming. She thought they'd only spoken very little, but the fact he looks aggravated with Sarah means there was more to this than her best friend had let on.

"Sure." Sarah reluctantly said, scratching at her skin since she was nervous. They walked over to a quiet corner of the building.

"Why did you run off?" He spoke, eyeing Sarah's scratching, looking concerned.

"You know me" she playfully hit his shoulder. "Don't like speaking about feelings me."

"You can talk to me you know? I want to know" He reassured her.

"I know, I'm fine though" She tried to make herself sound convincing. It did not work.

"I know you're not." He placed his hand on her cheek while glancing down at her arm seeing how bruised up it was. "Why do you keep scratching at your arm?"

"It's what I do when I'm nervous. A coping mechanism as some people would call it."

He then grabbed her hand. "You're hurting yourself. I'm stopping that now." He laughed.

"I would like to see you try mate." She then started to scratch at her arm again. He then did something that just surprised her. He grabbed her arm and smirked.

"Done. I stopped you." he smiled and laughed, looking so proud of himself. Sarah just narrowed her eyes. "I'm doing it for your good, you'll thank me one day."

"What day? When we are married with two kids?" she joked, wiggling her hand out of his grip.

"Yes, but we are only having one kid. As an only child, our kid will enjoy their life a lot with both of us raising them if they didn't have siblings," he argued.

"Sounds like you want to be with me?"

"We shall see, you need to open up a little more to me. I need honesty, Sarah."

"I'll try. That's all I can say."

"That's all that I need, to know you're trying." they both smiled at each other. Sarah felt like this was the moment in books where the main two characters would kiss, and she wanted to. But she held her composure and decided that this wasn't the time.

It was at this moment, that she realised she knew what that emotion she felt every time she saw Jakes's's name on her phone. She liked him. And that terrified her.

"Do you want to get some lunch?" she asked.

"Sure, but I'm picking your meal deal 'cause you have the worst taste in food." he snickered.

"Shut up my meals are great, you just don't like flavour white boy." and they walked off to grab lunch together. They laughed and gossiped, and they both felt all warm inside.

All these moments, kept helping them develop their feelings for one another but there was still a wall up. That wall coming from Sarah, but she couldn't help it.

They eventually split when their next lesson came up, but that didn't stop them from texting throughout.

"Sarah...Sarah..." Mia waved her hands in front of Sarah's face, while she stared into space thinking about Jake. "Earth to lovestruck teen."

Sarah shaped it off and remembered she was in chemistry. "I am not lovestruck." she retorted.

"You definitely are. You're happier, you're on your phone way more 'cause you're texting you know who, and the key thing is you're smiling more." Mia gleamed, seeming excited by her friend's happiness.

"It won't last though, when he finds out about the mess of my family he will run." she sighed.

"Stop being so negative. It's obvious he likes you so there's no way he's gonna lose the only girl to show an active interest in him. You're too amazing to lose." she grabbed Sarah's shoulder to reassure her.

"You're too kind." Sarah needed that comfort, she wanted convincing. She wished this little fantasy of her and Jake would work out. It would be a dream.

"I mean it. You're way too harsh on yourself and other people. He won't be as bad as your convincing yourself when he finds out everything."

"What do you mean convincing myself?"

"You're trying to convince yourself Jake is gonna be so harsh and drop you like trash, so you stop liking him. Which is definitely not the way to go with a guy you like. You're self-sabotaging."

"Jesus, be brutal why don't you?" she retorted, feeling like she was having a session of tough love so he understands.

"It's the only way you ever learn my dear. It's probably cause you've only ever gotten tough love. Jake will be good for you, he seems a softy."

Sarah rolled her eyes. "He definitely is a softy. I appreciate it a lot when I'm at home."

"Be prepared for very vanilla sex for the rest of your life." Mia chuckled and Sarah punched her arm.

Stupid bitch.