Chapter Eleven (I think)

Yes, you are getting an update out of schedule but I'm skipping Science homework so BE GRATEFUL! Also if one of my friends is reading this right now, you saw nothing!!! lol Don't worry, nameless person, I'm gonna do it. 

...later...

Recap: Layla will not speak. 

And Cora, still, will not look at me.

~~~

"You know what?" Kyle says suddenly. 

"What?" Amaris responds, playing a finger game with Layla. 

"If I get assigned to be a Fighter, I want to put out the First Flame," he tells us. 

"We all do," Eval grins. "That's the purpose of the Resistance. Then Evil is banished and so forth."

"No," he protests, "I want to put it out myself!"

Eval's grin vanishes. "Do not let false hope blind you, Kyle. We are all in this together. Do not think you are a one-man show. Sometimes we have to stand alone, but we are better together. Pride will be your downfall, and Viel will use it to your advantage. Do not let pride blind your view of life."

"Whatever," Kyle responds dismissively. We resume talking, but the easy atmosphere between us is strained and tense. 

"Guess what?" Orla says, trying to revive the easiness. 

"What, you finally figured out you're brainless?" Cora jests. 

"No, of course not! If I am brainless, which, thank you very much, I am not, then how would I figure out I am brainless with out a brain?"

"Oooohhh, Cora got roasted," Bern laughs. 

Cora rolls her eyes. "What did you figure out?"

Orla smirks mischevously. "That Bern hates it when people crack eggs in his hair!" she crows, cracking an egg into his hair. 

"EWWWW!! EWW! MAKE HER STOP!! AHHH! AHHH!!! GET IT OUT! GET IT OUT! GET! IT! OUT!!!!!" he shrieks, his voice rising with every word. 

"Don't we all?" Eva points out. 

"True, so-- HAH!" Orla produces another egg and deposits the inmates in Eva's hair. 

"EW! EW! ORLAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" Eva screams. 

From then on, it is a full on food fight. I join in, throwing a tomato at Eval and it explodes across his face. 

"ARA SHAY!!!! HOW DARE YOU!" he yells. 

I skid to a stop. 

"When did you learn my middle name?" I ask, surprised. 

"It's on the official records," he replies, focusing on wiping tomato off his face. 

"And you got access to those...  how?"

"I'm one of the Five," he explains. "Duh."

"Right." I smack myself in the face, which proves to be a terrible decision because I get tomato juice and egg all over my face-and I have no idea, nor do I want to know, how that got there. 

I look away, into the candle flame on the table. It, miraculously, has not been knocked over. So small, yet so deadly. WIth the right fuel, it could burn us all up. As I watch, it changes until I see my parent's eyes, and in their eyes I see the same terror of fire I see in mine. The candle haunts me. Fire haunts me. 

Do not let it break you, Ara.

It will not. 

It must not.