Chapter 12

Orla emerges after them, smoky and dirty. 

But she is alive. 

And that is all that matters. 

For I never knew how much I had until I lost it. 

I can tell the others thought she was dead, for they hug her with delight and tears and I faint. 

Sometimes, we just can't do it. 

But we have to go on.

Because life is cruel, and death can be sweet. 

But I have a purpose here, and I will complete it before I leave. 

                                                                               ~~~

When I was five we lived in a place where They would come fairly often. We would hide in the cellar until They departed. We live in constant fear.

 One day They took my brother away. Sometimes I forget I had a brother. 

 I wonder what happened to him.

  We moved when I was seven or eight.

                                                                                 ~~~

 Layla still makes no sound. I wish in vain. She will not talk. 

 I cry into my pillow, and dream once more of two pairs of blue, terror filled eyes with fire reflected in them.

                                                                                   ~~~

Two weeks later and I still do not know my dream job. 

Two weeks later and I am about to become a full Resistance Fighter.

Two weeks later and I am still afraid. 

 My class and I lineup and we are all given a number. There are 20 of us this year, and I'm number sixteen. 

 My age.

 Orla is first.  I wink as she crosses the room to the Five.

 "We have determined that you are caring, gentle, humorous, and nurturing. You are a resistant nurse!" After the clapping, Kimberly continues. "Take this oath. I promise to give everything, do everything, and sacrifice everything for the Resistance. I shall be loyal only to the Resistance, I will be clear headed and I will not allow others or anything else to cloud my judgment." 

 Orla repeats after Kimberly and as she leaves the stage, Andrea hands her a package with her uniform and a pin-and she winks at Orla.

 Kyle gets his fighter, Eva gets farmer, Amaris gets her scout, Bern gets engineer, and then it is my turn. 

They stop. 

What?

Have I done something?

Is this about Layla?

"Ara..." they start, "Ara, we have decided something new." Kimberly raises her voice. "Ara is becoming one of the Five."

My heart skips a beat. ONE OF THE FIVE?

In a daze I walk up to the stage, oblvious to the roar of the crowd. 

"Wouldn't there be Six then?" Orla points out. 

"No, " Kimberly says,  quite distinctly, but I hear her as though from a long way of. 

I know. 

Eval is stepping down. 

For me. 

To be with me.

But I have been elected in his stead. 

"For Eval is stepping down."

My head spins and vaguely I hear someone shout, "WHAT?! " And it is then I realize that it was me, that I am shaking, that I am faint. 

It is my voice. 

"Why?" I beg him, though I know the answer. 

"Because I do not think my place is here anymore,  Ara. I am becoming official Combat Master," he replies. 

I get my package with my instructions and pin and walk back to my seat and collapse. I do not know what the others get, or when they are called. I watch as Level Sixes become Level Sevens, and thought I see, I do not know what I am seeing. 

I am One. 

A part of the Five.

Eval stepped down for me and because of me. 

I cannot let this be in vain., though my heart is faint at the thought..

And so I smile as they congratulate me, and boys when they ask if I am excited.

But I know that Eval sees through it. 

And Cora... she bites her lip and turns away. 

Layla comes up. 

I carry her with me as I walk to our room, in a daze. 

Yeah. No cliffhanger this week. Sorry guys, I know how much you love them!!

Also really sorry that I didn't publish sooner. 

@BookChicken24 , you are the reason I published this chapter.