HFC | Chapter IX

Chapter IX | Long Time, No See

Employees wait in line at the owners door as they did every night. After a long day of work, receiving money is what they look forward to. The owner of the cleaning company counts out the bills, handing it to the employee that stood before her. The person thanks them and leaves out for the next two employees to collect their pay. The woman pays them both, counting up her own pay for the night once they left. Her office door slowly creaks open as she continues to thumb through the dollar bills.

"You handled that job Marques?" She asks, continuing to count her money.

"He just left." Phaedra says, startling the woman who turns to her.

"Phaedra?" She calls in shock and slowly stands to her feet.

"So, California huh?" The two former best friends haven't seen one another in five years. Phaedra thought this reunion would be different considering how hot headed her best friend is. The two would always get into fights mostly with other people. Corrin walks around her desk and leans on it, folding her arms.

"Yea. Can't really live in St. Louis anymore, thanks to my father." She shrugs and Phaedra nods in understanding knowing that Corrin's father messed that up for her.

"Well, you always talked about leaving anyway so." She says and Corrin rolls her eyes annoyed.

"By choice. Not being ran out the city. What are you doing here and how did you find me?" Corrin questions in irritation.

"I was in town and thought I stopped by." Phaedra says and has a seat on the couch. Corrin scoffs and shakes her head amused.

"Stopped by? Bitch I ain't seen you in five years and all you got to say is that you stopping by." Phaedra sighs in frustration.

"I didn't leave by choice Corrin." Corrin's face softens as she sits beside Phaedra, leaning in her lap. She knew Phaedra wouldn't lie about anything. Even if they haven't talked in awhile her word was bond.

"So who the hell I gotta shoot?" Corrin asks.

"I don't need you to shoot anyone. Shit I don't even know who's responsible really. Everybody keeps sending me around in circles. I get here to confront someone and they tell me that someone working for my Uncle Siddiq hired them." Phaedra explains.

"You talk to that nigga?" Phaedra gives her a known look as Corrin gives her the same look back.

"Don't disrespect my uncle." Phaedra warns.

"I'll disrespect him all I want. That nigga could possibly be responsible for whatever happened to you. You damn right I'm going to talk shit about his ass." Corrin says causing Phaedra to laugh. Corrin then joins in. Corrin could always lift that weight off her shoulders and vise versa. They were each other's peace when their father's world would cave in on them. None of their other friends understood their problems.

"I don't know what to do." Phaedra confesses. Corrin frowns and sits up straight from her position.

"Fuck you mean? We going to confront your non-blood related uncle." Corrin says, walking over to her desk.

"We? You know it's not safe for you back home." Phaedra reminds.

"You didn't come here for nothing Phae. We're sisters before anything." Corrin says, grabbing her purse and phone out the drawer.

"You're really going to do this?" Phaedra questions and Corrin nods heading towards the door.

"I'll have Marques take care of everything here. He's been wanting to show his skills anyway. While I'm helping you I can also finish my Pop's mess." She shrugs as Phaedra follows her out the door.