HFC | Chapter XIII

Chapter XIII | A Brew Beginning

The waiter cleared the table of the empty dishes and glasses. Dro and Phaedra enjoyed a three course meal at a restaurant he partially owns. He rented out the place so the two of them wouldn't be distracted. This evening is important to him so it should be special. Phaedra has been through a lot in the past five years. After this morning events, he wanted to talk to her and see where her head is at. It's clear that there may be feelings involved and it needs to be discussed. They indulged in small talk with their time spent together. Dro could tell she was enjoying herself with the different food and drinks. He didn't want to ruin it with a possible relationship speech. The waiter returns with two new glasses, pouring a quarter glass of wine into them. He then leaves out after a small conversation with Dro on his way to the kitchen. Phaedra waits until he disappears before beginning to speak.

"You must be close with the family." She analyzes and Dro nods.

"My Pop bought this place and many others off the auction block thirty years ago. He put money into the businesses which helped them stay open." He informs.

"I would of loved to meet him." Dro chuckles at her wishful thinking, wanting to know more. He figured they could talk about that another time. It's something else more important they need to talk about.

"Something tells me y'all would of gotten along if he was still here. My moms too." He says. There's a long silence before Phaedra decides to speak again.

"This isn't just diner is it?" She asks and Dro shakes his head no.

"We need to talk." He says and sits up in his chair.

"About the kiss this morning." She smirks and he exhales a laugh in response.

"Yea, what was that?" He frowns with a smile. Phae laughs off the moment of embarrassment and shrugs her shoulders.

"It was a thank you." Dro arches an eyebrow and sits back in his chair amused.

"A thank you? Keep it straight Phae." Exhaling deeply, she leans on the table with her forearms crossed in front of her.

"Why don't you keep it straight Adonis? If I recall, I didn't lift myself up on that table." The scene of their make out session looped through his mind as they sit in silence. Since the kiss, Dro couldn't get Phaedra off his mind. Her fragrance was seeped into his clothing and the flavoring lip balm lingered on his tastebuds.

"I'll admit, I got caught up in the moment. It's been a long time." He admits.

"Same for me but for different reasons of course. I can't lie and say that I don't have feelings for you." Phaedra says and takes a sip of her drink.

"Mm, are they genuine?" He asks as she sits her glass down to the right of the table.

"What do you mean?" She responds.

"Are you feeling me for me or what I've done for you?" He questions directly.

"My father use to always say if a man wants you, he'll show you who he really is from the start. That day I walked into your club, you could of killed me. Instead you took me in and took care of me." She begins and he listens while tilting his head a little.

"Me taking care of you is a sign that I want you?" Dro questions for an explanation. Phaedra laughs while shaking her head no.

"What I'm trying to say is that you showed me who you were since we met. You haven't changed which let me know you are true to who you are. You're logical, intelligent, a family man and most of all reliable. We've only known one another for two going on three weeks, but I believe you'd go through hell and high water to get me back." Dro frowns and sits up in interest.