HFC | Chapter XVI

Chapter XVI | Making Moves

"What the fuck happened?" Corrin questions in concern as Dro and Phaedra walk through the door. After last night's events, the two ended their trip early. Flying back home on the jet, they returned just before the sun rose.

"Take her upstairs real quick while I talk to Spriggs." He orders to Corrin. She does as told and ambushes Phaedra with a bunch of questions. She got no reply because the only person she wanted to talk to at the moment was Dro.

"The fuck goin on?" Spriggs questions upset. Dro waits until he hears the door close before speaking.

"Somebody shot at us out in Cali." He explains and Spriggs eyes stretch wide.

"Do you know who?" He exclaims and Dro shakes his head, making his way into the kitchen where their sister stood. She holds the pocket knife in her hand, juggling it between her fingers. Unbothered, she leans against the fridge waiting to hear the plan.

"You called Adea?" Dro questions in irritation.

"And did. Yo ass should of went there by y'all self no way." Adea argues, stabbing the knife into the wooden cutting board.

"And shouldn't." Spriggs agrees with pursed lips. Dro hits him in the back of the head causing him to flinch and straight face him.

"Don't hit him because he's right. I told you it wasn't a good idea. Just because it's been quiet doesn't mean people aren't watching." Adea reminds while pointing in his face as she steps closer to him. Dro groans in annoyance, while politely moving her hand out his face.

"You letting this love shit turn you blind." Spriggs co-signs. Dro smacks his lips while shaking his head.

"Coming from the nigga who wanted me and Phaedra to get together in the first place." Dro argues.

"And I still do! Y'all can't get comfortable right now is all I'm saying." Spriggs informs.

"We weren't comfortable. There was a few people with us." Dro confirms. Exhaling deeply, Adia places a hand on his shoulder while stepping beside her.

"Not enough." She says, and disappears into the living room. Sighing, Dro massages his temples in frustration. He understands it wasn't the brightest idea but he figured Phaedra could use a break. She's be ripping and running for a month and has barely had time to breathe. He felt they both needed a break. Dro heads up the stairs to his bedroom where Phaedra and Corrin are packing a few bags.

"What are you doing?" He questions confused.

"I'll meet you downstairs Rin." Phaedra assures to Corrin while zipping up the bags. Corrin nods and retrieves the luggage, leaving the room. She closes the door leaving Phaedra and Dro to themselves.

"You leaving?" He questions to fill the awkward silence in the room.

"Hanif is visiting someone at my father's owned property in Florida." She says.

"How do you know that?" He questions while stepping closer to her. She sighs and tucks her hair behind her ears.

"Siddiq called me the other night and told me." She informs and Dro frowns in disappointment.

"And you didn't think to run that by me?"

"No I didn't. And after last night, you don't need to get anymore involved."

"You keep saying that shit. It's too late for all that. Once you came into my life, putting you back out on the street as broken as you were; wasn't an option." He argues and Phaedra exhales in frustration and combs her hair back through her fingers. Having someone care for her this much isn't something she's use too.

"Listen, I appreciate everything you've done for me but this isn't your fight! You have your family to think about. A brother and sister that love you-" Dro interrupts.

"You're apart of this family now too, what part of that do you not understand?" He questions in irritation.

"Just like you don't understand that I can't lose you." Dro exhales deeply because he understood her argument. It's clear the both of them are support for one another.

"At least take a few guys with you." He tells her. Phaedra scoffs a laugh and places a hand on his cheek.

"So you can know my every move Adonis? No thanks." She smiles and Dro smacks his lips and raise both his eyebrows as he looks into her eyes.

"You need protection Phae." She nods in agreement and caresses under the graze from the bullet on his cheek.

"As do you. I can't look out for you and myself too. Not like this." She informs and arches an eyebrow in assurance. Dro takes her hand from his face and sighs. He hates the situation they're in but he knows she's right. As the two stare at one another, a soft knock is placed on the door. Adea enters with her medical bag clearing her throat to gain the couple's attention.

"Corrin told me y'all were leaving. I thought I'd come up here to clean and stitch your wound so it won't get infected." She explains. Dro leaves the room and travels down the stairs. The living room is crowded with staff so he decides to sit out on the patio. There is Spriggs having his morning smoke of herbs he hand picked from the garden. The cool breeze eased the brothers as they sat to themselves. Neither one of them spoke as they took in the silence. It's something they did often whenever there were close calls. It's a way of them appreciating one another's presence and that they survived to see another day. A hour had passed by when Corrin joins the men to say her goodbyes. She hugs Spriggs and then Dro, thanking them for their hospitality. After leaving, Spriggs receives a text. There's a location with a message saying,"give us three days. After that do with what you will with the information." Spriggs looks up seeing he's now alone. Dro had left him to get some air which he understood. It's been a long night.