HFC | Chapter XV

Chapter XV | A Brief Escape

a month later...

Laughter and conversation echos throughout the modern home of the Ahmad family. Hanif frowns at the sound of his father conversing with someone. Around this time, he's usually meditating and smoking before going to bed. Entering the living room, he witnesses his father conversing with an unfamiliar face. The brown skin individual is dressed in all black with gold chains and a silk black durag to accessorize. Hanif sized up the gentleman, frowning at his father who's enjoying the strange company. Siddiq double takes and sits up, nodding his head towards his son.

"Spriggs this is my son Hanif, Hanif this is Spriggs." He introduces. The two men nod at one another in response. Hanif's attention travels to the silver metal case.

"Aren't you suppose to be meditating? What's all this?" Hanif questions confused.

"I wanted to smoke before that but my son wasn't here to pick up my shit. Let me guess, sending money to Florida for your mother before you go see her." Siddiq interrogates and rests back in his chair.

"Whatever you and Mom got going on is y'all business. Don't drag me into y'all shit." Hanif waves off.

"Wouldn't dream of it." His father responds sarcastically while reaching for his wallet.

"Here we go." Hanif huffs and shakes his head. This is a normal routine for the both of them. His father was always jealous of his son and his ex-wife's relationship. Since the divorce, Hanif has made sure to visit his mother once a month while he's entertaining a certain someone. He doesn't want his father getting suspicious of his side work. That'll only make things much worse between the two. Siddiq tucks a freshly rolled blunt between his lips and thumbs through the hundred dollar bills.

"Whatever. We were just finishing up here." Siddiq says as he extends money to Spriggs.

"Nah man, I told you it's on the house for the first purchase." Spriggs reminds him as the two stand to their feet.

"No. This is the best strain I had in a while. It definitely deserves to be paid for." Siddiq says and extends the money again. Spriggs scoffs a laugh and takes the money, grasping the small case full of his product. Hanif watches as him and his father dap hands and share a few words. Spriggs thanks him for his business and one of the guards escort him out. Hanif turns to his father once Spriggs leaves and frowns.

"Who was that?" He questions while following his father down the long hall.

"Look, I needed weed and you weren't here to supply it. Joey told me about two brothers on the East side of the Lou that just opened up a spot and deliver." Siddiq shrugs.

"You contributing to the competition?" Hanif scolds as they come across his father's office.

"What competition? I'm retired and your ass didn't take on my legacy, you made your own. Only thing I ask you to do is have my weed for me and you can't even do that shit."

"Well maybe if you treated me like a son instead of one your employees, we'd have a better relationship. Here's your weed by the way. You need anything before my flight tonight?"

"I don't want that shit." Siddiq waves him off while searching for his lighter. Hanif scoffs and shakes his head while leaving out. His father is in his feelings which is normal for him around this time. He'd get over it. As Hanif teaveled to his room to continue packing, Spriggs and a few of the guys stood back to survey the house. Him having to do a delivery wasn't planned. Dro and Spriggs have hired a delivery driver but they called out last minute. That left Spriggs having to the deliveries. Surprisingly, one of customers was of Siddiq's crew. Dro and his crew have been watching the Ahmad family for a month now. It's been quiet which isn't normal when you have enemies.