Chapter One

The atmosphere of the club was energetic.

The music was blasting, the strobe lights were blinding, and the drinks were strong enough to make you forget all your worries.

The dance floor was very crowded, the people there shouting along to the words of the songs.

I, myself, didn't enjoy the public display of dancing so I remained at the bar, sat on a bar stool as I waited for the bartender to make my drink- a whiskey neat.

I drummed my fingers against the surface of the bar top and thanked the bartender with a nod as he slid the glass towards me.

Taking a small sip, I breathed deeply as the alcohol burned its way down my throat.

Despite my taste for the expensive drink, I knew I would never get used to the burning sensation it created.

Feeling the effects of the drink, I got up from my seat as my ears caught the sound of the familiar song, 'Hands on Me', playing through the club's speakers. In my sober state, I wouldn't be doing this but now I was slightly intoxicated, my confidence took the better of me, so I joined the crowd on the dance floor.

My hips swayed along to the beat and in my state, I began to dance.

Moving around in the crowd, I sang along with the strangers to the sensual, Spanish song and felt my confidence grow as random strangers danced with me, putting what they felt like were their best moves onto the dance floor.

Once the song was over, another remixed song came on- one that I didn't recognise- so I went and sat at the bar again, feeling all hot and bothered after the few minutes of dancing.

I hadn't finished my first drink, but my cup was nowhere to be seen, so I went ahead and ordered a new one. This drink was a Long Island Iced Tea, and it was much lighter compared the whiskey.

As I sipped on it, I felt refreshed, and the peachy flavour sat on my tongue as I swirled the ice around in the tall glass with the straw.

A light tap on my shoulder caught my attention, so I turned in my seat to see a rather tall man behind me, sunglasses sitting on the bridge of his nose as he looked down at me.

"Can I help you?" I spoke.

"Mr Alessandro Russo requests your presence in the VIP section of Infernos."

"And if I refuse?"

"Miss Chiara, I advise you not to refuse. Mr Russo isn't a patient man."

"Fine. Lead the way." I said, standing from my seat with my clutch in my hand.

He took longer strides than expected but I kept up with him as he took me to the stairs that led up to the VIP section.

The two bouncers standing on both sides of the barrier rope stopped us.

"She's with Russo." The man with me told them.

The two men nodded and the one on the left removed the rope and held it as we walked through to go up.

The sound of the metal clasp of the rope behind me confirmed that they had closed the section off and I looked ack to see the guards still facing forward, like statues.

Turning back, the man leading me was waiting at the top of the stairs. I muttered a 'sorry' and caught up with him.

Once we got there, a few heads had swivelled to look at the new presence in the room. I could feel the eyes of some men trailing down my body, following the dress that I was wearing that stopped short at my thigh.