Chapter Twenty Two

I hadn't expected my advice to be taken, especially not by Alessandro. I thought it would take ages to convince him, or even using Tony to prove that my plan was better. But, my idea was good, and thankfully he agreed.

Alessandro was in the car with Sergio, Tony, Damiano and I and two other guys in the back. Behind our car were three identical four seaters, filled with their men. We didn't have to be at the drop site until midnight, but it would take us forty minutes to get there and it was already ten to 11. Alessandro insisted that we had to be early. His trust for Salvatore was low, and it was clear that he was ready to kill the guy as soon as he could.

Alessandro drove, speeding down the highway, just barely missing cars. We got a few car horns but not enough to faze him.

I put my hand on his leg and looked at him. He looked at me briefly before his eyes going back onto the road. To my surprise, he took a deep breath and relaxed his posture more than I expected. He grabbed my hand and pressed his lips to the back of it before dropping it to change gears.

Thirty minutes later, we arrived at the drop site. Alessandro called the men in the second car and told them to go around and park near the second entrance. We were going to wait right at the centre for Salvatore so it would be easier to deal with him.

"Alessandro, what are you going to do if Damiano did tell us the truth?" I whispered to him, knowing I wouldn't like the answer.

"I'll do what we do to any traitor. Kill him." He stated, his face not changing one bit.

"Don't you think it will cause more problems if you kill him without his family and your father knowing what he'd done? It doesn't feel right."

He turned to look at me, tilting his head to the side. He let out a 'hmph' and smiled a little. "You're right. After all, he is still the head. I won't kill him but as soon as my father gives me the green light, I'm driving his skull into the ground. No waiting."

Alessandro paused for a minute, covering the earpiece to hear it clearly.

"Salvatore came early. We need to send Damiano out now." He said to Sergio.

Sergio replied with a nod and opened the door, stepping out of the car before letting Damiano go. Sergio crouched behind the car and Alessandro, Tony and I watched from the car. The two others got out too, going around the car and closer to the middle of the path we were on. Soon enough, the whole area would be surrounded by Alessandro's men, and Salvatore would be outnumbered, just like we wanted.

We watched as Salvatore's car pulled up and Damiano paced back and forth till he saw it, stopping to wait for his brother in front of the shipments he took.

The car stopped abruptly and the lights dimmed a little, leaving us in darker light. Salvatore got out of the car and slammed the door shut.

"I got the stuff, like you asked." Damiano said, as we listened over the mic.

"Show me." Salvatore said, not bothering to thank his brother.

He began speaking again, but the sound came out muffled. I looked at Damiano to see him putting his hand on his chest.

"He's messing with the mic so we don't hear what Salvatore is saying to him." I spoke. "He was lying to us."

Suddenly, the speaking resumed.

"That wasn't the deal. I told you it was going to be 60/40 and you agreed." Salvatore argued.

"That was the old deal. After realising how much heavy lifting you actually made me do, I know that I deserve the bigger cut."