Chapter Twenty Four

After breakfast and a few more conversations with Alessandro's family, we were getting our things to leave.
Just as I was grabbing the jumper I was wearing, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I turned to see Salvatore. He looked tired and slightly defeated, and I asked him if he was okay.

"Yeah, I err... I just wanted to say sorry on my brother's behalf. And... my father's too I guess." He rubbed the back of his neck. "And I'm sorry for being such an asshole to you in the first couple days of meeting you, it wasn't- it wasn't out of jealousy or anything but I just... I don't really know why I acted like that. Maybe in my head, you just seemed like every other girl Alessandro used to have around, but instead of ditching them after one night, you're here to stay."

I stopped him and gave him a tight smile. "Look, consider it all forgotten. I think it's best for the both of us if we let bygones be bygones and just move on. Right?"

He nodded rapidly, "Yes, definitely. And ignore what I said about Alessandro and other women: he's not like that. Not anymore obviously."

I let out an awkward laugh and reassured him it was fine. He walked with me to the main room where everyone was waiting.

Alessandro was stood, his arms folded across his chest. He had some black jumper on and the trousers he wore were straight cut. His arms looked even bigger than I thought and I felt myself staring for a bit until someone called me.

"Chiara, have you got everything you had?" His mother asked me, smiling kindly.

"Si, Signora. Thank you for everything you've done." I replied.

Suddenly, someone coming down the stairs drew everyone's attention away, and I turned to see Alessandro's father.

Vincent Russo was a man who radiated power. It was clear that he wasn't someone to be messed with, and rightfully so. His reputation, much like my father's, was one that no one could match.

I watched Alessandro tense slightly, before relaxing, his arms unfolding and dropping to his side.

"You're leaving already?" Vincent grumbled.

"Yes, Papa. We'll see you at the wedding in two days time."

"Hm."

Without another word, he headed into the kitchen, leaving the rest of us alone.

Weird.

Alessandro's mother kissed my cheeks and did the same to her son, telling us how excited she was for the wedding.

We both laughed and put on a smile before waving to the rest of them and getting in the car.

Salvatore's family had left once Damiano's leg was patched up, but he decided to stay for a while. In all fairness, their Nonna hadn't seen him in a while and demanded that he stayed, and he wasn't one to argue with her.

Once Alessandro and I had set off, I felt my eyelids getting heavy. My neck was struggling to hold my head up and I found myself falling asleep. I moved the seatbelt strap behind me and twisted in a way that was comfortable.

I felt a hand rest on my thigh, before it began rubbing circles on my leg. I looked up to see Alessandro who glanced at me quickly, before returning his eyes to the road.

"You okay?" He asked.

"I shouldn't be this tired." I mumbled.

"You were up early, it's not your fault. You can sleep for a bit, it's gonna be a bit of a long drive. Traffic nearer the city is getting worse." He assured me.