Chapter Twenty Three

Chiara POV

I woke up in the middle of the night, my neck aching from the way I had slept. I looked to my right to see Alessandro, his eyes scrunching whilst he muttered words in his sleep.

I couldn't quite make out what he was saying, but he looked upset.

"Alessandro?" I whispered, trying to see if he would wake up. He didn't.

"No... por fa papa." He muttered, his eyes scrunching then relaxing again. "Papa, please... don't-"

Then, he awoke, sitting upright rapidly, his chest rising and falling as he took deep breaths.

"Ale? Are you alright?" I said, propping myself up with my arm, reaching out my hand to place on top of his.

He moved his hand just before mine reached it, "I'm fine. I didn't wake you, did I?"

"I just woke up naturally, my neck was hurting. Honestly Alessandro, are you okay?"

"Fuck, Chiara. Just let it go." he sighed, rubbing at his face.

"Jeez, sorry. I just wanted to check up on you." I glanced at him before looking straight again.

He mumbled something under his breath, before sighing and moving the covers off himself.

"Where are you going?" I glanced at the clock on the table, "It's three in the morning."

"I just need some goddamn space, is that too much to ask?" He rubbed at his temple.

I peeled the covers off and got out of bed. He shot me a look.

"What are you doing Chiara?" He muttered.

"I'm giving you the space you need- it's your room so I'll go. Just point me in the direction of the guest room and I'll be on my way. " I shrugged.

"Just 'cause I asked for space, you're going to do this?" He scoffed.

"I'm not doing this to piss you off, I actually want to give you space; why is it so hard for you to imagine me being a decent human being?"

"Because I don't fucking trust you Chiara!" He whisper-yelled.

"I didn't ask for you to trust me Alessandro. I just wanted you to be somewhat civil with me, but you couldn't even do that. I don't ask for much either, so let me do you a favour and get out of your way. The less time we spend with each other, the happier you will be, clearly."

I made my way to the door and swung it open. Alessandro tried to grab my hand but I moved it instantly.

"Why do we keep doing this to ourselves?" He muttered.

"I was just trying to help. I just wanted to understand you better." I said, my voice barely a whisper as I walked out.

I only took a few steps before he called me back.

"Chi.. come here."

I didn't want to, but my feet betrayed me as they took a step back towards him. He reached out for my hands but I folded them across my chest.

"I'll go, you take the bed. It's comfier than the one in the guestroom." He sighed.

"Fine."

He stepped aside and I walked in, lightly brushing his shoulder as I went into the room. He gave me one last look before he walked out,  closing the door behind him.

I flopped back onto the bed, staring up at the ceiling. I tried to close my eyes and fall asleep, but I couldn't. I tossed and turned on the bed by myself trying to get comfortable, but it just wouldn't work.