Chapter Four

After our close call, Alessandro and I had agreed to only meet in public, on neutral ground, so there wouldn't be any complications.

He and his father had left a few minutes after our quick escape from the game room, and I was now sitting with my mother and brothers in the living room, the news playing on the TV.

"So, Chiara- how do you feel about this whole situation?" My mother asked me as she leaned back in her armchair, sipping on a drink.

"Well, I wasn't so sure about it at first. But I don't really have a choice, do I?" I shrugged.

"It still doesn't feel right, Mama. Maybe I should talk to Papa about it, tell him to call the deal off so we can do business with them another way." Oscar chimed in. Being the older brothers, they always had to be protective over me.

"Oscar, leave it. You know what Papa is like; he's not going to change his mind. The deal has been finalised and there's nothing we can do." Rafael said, the irritation clear on his face.

"She's our little sister though. There has to be some way we can pull out from this. There's no way Mr Russo has to form the alliance this way. Putting out little sister up for marriage? And God knows what his son is like." He sighed.

"I'm right here you know." I muttered.

A sudden noise of someone clearing their throat startled my brothers and I, and we turned around to see my father standing there. Like he always was, he was dressed up in one of his usual suits as if he was ready to do business at any time of the day.

"That is enough. Mr Russo is a very respectable man, and I will not have you badmouthing a future business partner under my roof, not whilst his son is set to marry Chiara in six months' time. Oscar, you know that you are taking over the Mafia when the time comes, and Mr Russo will be one of your main business associates. In this world, it's all about making connections."

"Which reminds me," I interrupted, standing from my seat, "I'm going to be late for dinner tonight so you can start without me."

"Chiara, what is more important than family dinner?" My father asked me, his tone becoming sterner that it was when he was speaking to my brother.

"Papa, lo siento pero I have an important job to do today. I promised them a while ago."

He sighed, massaging his temple slowly as he said, "Fine, only for tonight though. Once you're married, any form of work won't be necessary for you as I'm sure Alessandro will promise. You can just stay home like one of those housewives."

My jaw dropped as my father's words struck me in the wrong way.

"Father, I'll be honest with you: that will never happen. I'm not some trophy wife for Alessandro to keep by his side as a pretty face for his benefits. If anything, I would want to be involved business wise and it is shocking to me that you don't know that already. Now, please excuse me. I have other things to do."

With that, I took my leave and headed upstairs to grab a few essentials before I left the house.

I jogged down the side staircase and snuck through the door leading to the garage so I could avoid any run-ins with my father.

Grabbing my keys from the key box, I unlocked my car and got into it. I started the car up and watched as the garage doors opened, speeding through the gates as they opened wide enough for my car to fit through.

It didn't take me long to reach my destination and I got out of the car once I had parked, opening the boot, and grabbing the gym bag and slinging it over my shoulder.

I checked that I was at the correct address and then went towards the gate that blocked a flight of stairs.

* * *