5

credentials goes to the rightful owner of the picture.

~

Its been 12 days since that steamy day happened. Jiang Cheng went somewhere the following day and until now hasn't come back yet. He Wujuan spent her days reading a book in their shared room, strolling in town and her most favourite - gossiping with the servants and cultivators.

A loud roar barge into the Lotus Pier gates, repeatedly yelling the Madam's name in panic. The cultivators present at the training field stare at the young one like some lunatic. A female servant lead him to the lady's room he was looking for so eagerly.

"Auntie!" he yelled once the wooden door opens.

"Jin Ling?...Woah!" He throws himself at her. Hugging her waist tightly without any sign of letting go. His face burried on her belly. She place her book on the side.

"What's wrong, little one?" She asks, brushing his head with her hands.

"The letter says your terribly sick..." Jin Ling mumbled between his sobs. He Wujuan slams her hand on her forehead. Jiang Cheng must be the one who sent the letter and exaggerated it a bit.

"I was. But I'm fine now. Your Uncle is just overly dramatic." In her head she was already planning how to kill Jiang Cheng.

"Really?" Jin Ling raise his head, eyes puffy.

That's it. Jiang Wanyin you're dead.

"Yes, you don't have to worry, it was just a light fever." she said, trying to ease him. Her eyes move its way to a rip in his clothes.

"What happened to your arm?" she asks, grabbing his left arm by force. Fortunately, there wasn't any blood or scar.

"Oh, I slipped while I was rushing here." Jin Ling said, shaking the dirt off his cloth. He Wujuan let out a relief.

She asks, her tone gentle "Have you gotten any sleep? how about meal?" worry visible in her face, she cup her hand in his cheek.

Jin Ling felt the soft summer breeze inside him. He tilted his head to the side, nuzzling his cheek on her hand. He always felt comfort with her. Maybe because he never really experienced a Mother's love.

"Auntie, my body is aching all over... let me sleep here." he said, acting like a child.

A curve form in her lips. "Okay, okay." Jin Ling beamed a smile, lay his head on her lap, closing his eyes. In a matter of second, he fell asleep. "You must be really tired, huh." He Wujuan carefully remove his headdress and place it on the side. 

The weariness etched on his face reveals how exhausted he was. He Wujuan's mind flooded in thoughts swirling a mixture of concern. 

As she gazed down at Jin Ling, his peaceful slumber seemed to mask the weight he carried upon his small figure. The world had imposed its challenges upon him, demanding maturity and fortitude that should have belonged to an adult and not into this young man's life. 

It is the same with Jiang Cheng. The burden of leading a clan was placed on him for similar circumstance. One could say the nephew and the uncle received the same harsh fate. Both parents died when they were not ready to live without them. 

"You are too young to carry the world, A-ling." A responsibility that should never have been placed on his fragile frame. 

The first time He Wujuan saw Jin Ling, she vowed to shield him from the harsh realities. She gently stroke his hair, whispering she would do it even if the cost is her life. 

The afternoon carried on, Jin Ling continued to sleep. He Wujuan remained still and silent. Night came, a knock was heard on the wooden door. 

"Come in." she says. 

The wooden door slides open. He Wujuan puts a finger on her mouth and gaze down on the figure sleeping soundly on her lap. The servant seems to understand and bow. 

"This humble one wants to ask if will you be dining in the hall with the young master." she says in a low voice, head downcast. 

Jin Ling seems not planning to wake up sooner. "No, please have your meal before us." 

"Understood, Madam." the servant bows and left the room in silent. 

He Wujuan picks up the book she was holding a while ago and went back to reading. And before she knew it, the time had carried her into the night, her eyes grew heavy. 

It was the sound of her own stomach rumbling that stirred He Wujuan from her slumber. She could feel her body wanting to devour a plate of fish. 

He Wujuan glanced around the room, there was a single lamp lit and Jin Ling has already a blanket wrap around him. It must be the servant that did it. She assumes. 

"How was your slumber?" 

"Oh, crap!-" He Wujuan hurriedly covers her mouth. "Why would you scare me like that?" she says, half yell. 

Jiang Cheng walks near her and planted a peck on her lips. "I've missed you." 

With those words and actions, she was not mad anymore. The crease on her forehead was gone. "Have you eaten?" 

"Yes, and I assume you haven't?" 

"I'll eat when Jin Ling wakes up."

Jiang Cheng was about to wake Jin Ling when she stop him. "Don't you even dare, Jiang Wanyi." she says, glaring at him again. 

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, alright." he says, about to kiss her again to make it up. 

He Wujuan held her hand out front. "Get out." 

"What?!" Jiang Cheng says loud. 

He Wujuan shushed him "Get out, Jiang Cheng." 

"Where would I sleep?" Jiang Cheng says, a bit frustrated why his wife is kicking him out when all he did was wake his nephew. 

"I don't care where you sleep. Get out."