Chapter 5 Orange poison

Claire on the other hand, was wide awake. Something about Matt being sick made her uneasy. She couldn't stand to see him like this. She was mesmerized by the steady slow movement of his chest expanding then collapsing. She traced the side of his face with her hand. Then all of a sudden the breathing wasn't steady. It was as if a unexpected storm had come and his chest was the ship. He gave out quick sharp coughs, then they progressively became harder and louder. Until Matt was sitting up. Claire was patting his back.
In between coughs she tried to offer him soothing words.
"Matt, it's okay, I'll be right back, it will be okay."
She practically sprinted to the living room where her nurse bag was, then hustled back to his room. She had returned with a plastic bottle filled with unnaturally orange colored liquid. She took off the plastic cup top, unscrewed the cap and pored the right dose in.
"Here take this."
Matt took the cup and drank it down. When he swallowed it he had a cringe on his face.
"Oh my...what the hell was that? Gasoline?"
"It's medicine Matt, that thing you take when you get sick."
"That wasn't medicine that was, the tears of children and small puppies or something."
Claire showed a small grin. "Let me get you some water." She began to walk out.
"Claire."
"Yes?"
"Next time...please...just poison me, it will be easier."
"Okay remember that." She left the room with a smile on her face.