Chapter 3

Kenna stood from her seat and took her father's hand. The tables quieted and everyone watched as she swiped her hand to the side and her dress disappeared to reveal tight black pants and a deep plum shirt. Loki was wearing his usual, more casual palace attire now. The helmet was left on his chair. He led her across the floor, nodding to the musicians. It had been suggested they do a song that allowed them to show off their skills as a team and Kenna had loved the idea immediately. While they were looking for the right music to do all this, Ebony had found the sheet music for a song from Midgard and they had decided to use it.

It started out slow, a crescendo making every eye focus on them. Kenna moved away from Loki, leaving the center of the floor. They walked backwards, keeping their eyes on each other. Finally, he nodded and she spun, sweeping her hands in front of her. A green mist filled the room as he followed her. A flash of purple light illuminated it as they moved in sync, circling each other and controlling the mist around them. The music sped up suddenly, a low and demanding piece.

Light exploded near the ceiling again and everyone watched as the shadows of father and daughter spun together. Kenna jumped and curled up, spinning a tight circle in the air. She flipped and landed on Loki's hands, her feet moving swiftly and in precise movements, twisting and turning over his palms as he carried her back. The mist curled to her commands and a collective gasp filled the room.

The green rose and shaped into the forms of three beings. Everyone recognized the shapes of Fenrir, Sleipnir and Hel. Behind them rose a smaller shape of Kenna, colored her signature purple. The image continued to Loki's emerald mist rising into his own figure. Kenna poked her head out of the mist and nodded to her mother. Ebony smiled and stood. She sank into the cloud and a bright flash of blue made everyone look up at the figures the mist had made. Beside Loki's rose a royal blue copy of Ebony. The real Ebony slipped out of the mist, leaving them to finish their dance.

The audience clapped and the sound hit a crescendo as the real Kenna jumped from the mist, rising above the show with her arms stretched out. She flipped and spun so she fell head first into the haze, her arms closing together. There was silence as the fog disappeared to reveal Loki drawing it in slowly. He turned on his heel and faced the crowd. Kenna landed in front of them, her leg outstretched to balance her. She slid to her feet slowly, grinning and breathing heavily. The audience stood and clapped, cheering on such a spectacular display.

Loki shook Kenna by her shoulders, grinning down at her. She returned the smile, still out of breath. The crowd moved onto the floor and everyone joined together as the musicians struck up another tune. Kenna escaped through the crowd, trying to hide away in a corner. Everyone laughed and danced, the wine being poured now. Ebony caught sight of her and came over with a concerned frown. "Sweetheart, I know you hate it but just walk around a bit. An hour. How's that? And then you can go."

Kenna grimaced but nodded; an hour was merciful. Following after her mother, she clung to her side, listening and talking a bit. Ebony escaped her eventually, trying to urge her to socialize on her own. Kenna looked around in panic until she found her father. She rushed to his side and clung to his jacket. He looked down at her and smirked. "Go on now. You have to learn to associate with the people." She glared at him, frustrated that he wasn't willing to help either.

She wandered the room, remaining close to the walls. Addressing large crowds on business matters was easy. She was in a position of power and respect. But something about large parties simply exhausted her. She didn't know where to start. Humming along to the music, Kenna wondered when they would bring her mystery man forward. She recognized a shadow hiding in an alcove and she ran to it with a smile.

"Merek?" He looked down at her expectantly. "Dance with me?" He stared at her outstretched hands in disdain. She laughed and took his hands, tugging. "Please? If you dance with me then I can smile at people around us and look friendly and you can have some fun and I'll be left alone because they won't bother you. It's perfect. Dance with me."