Chapter 35

Rowan and Olik traveled to Vanaheim while Loki struggled to decipher the code and ready the Aesir troops. They stood at the edge of the beach. They stared at the water, unsure if they should even try. They had visited Avalon and asked her what Lot meant when he told Kenna to 'gather the lost.' She had explained that there were many of every species and culture who were pushed away, shunned, killed. The lost people. Those of Vanaheim who were 'lost' were the Ice Wielders. They lost a war hundreds of years ago and went into hiding. Olik had been confused.

"Ice people. Like... Jotuns?"

She shook her head. "They looked very much like us. But they could control the water and the ice. They're very rare now."

"So we go to the sirens?" Rowan had asked.

She had nodded. "That's your best bet. They cannot control the water but they would know who could. Be careful." They had thanked her and now found themselves on the edge of the beach.

"Well, the longer we stand here, the worse things get. Come on."

They stepped onto the sand and walked to the water's edge, waiting. The women of the ocean were known to live in underwater caves that opened up into dry caverns. They would notice the boys sooner or later. It wasn't long before three heads rose out of the water, only their eyes visible.

Rowan nodded to them and they swam closer before walking onto the beach. He was glad they remained silent. "We're looking for some people. Ice wielders we've been told they're called."

One of them nodded. "The Apala. Our Queen can help you find them."

Rowan elbowed Olik to stop him staring and then bowed to the women. "Thank you."

They began walking, looking back at him. "Can you save us? Do you know how?"

"No. But we'll try." Vanaheim had been first affected by the sickness of Yggdrasil. The forest had died for the most part; many of the dryads dying with it. Lot was gone. The mountainous people were managing but the mountains were crumbling. The woman gestured to the water.

"The fish are gone, dying elsewhere. The water is warmer and fresher. The tides are not as high. How is Asgard?"

"We have earthquakes often and strong storms. But we have fared better than most."

"Why do you need the Apala?"

Rowan explained. "Loki thinks that Lot advised it because of the realms. If anyone would know the secret things of each realm, it would be the shunned and hidden people." The girls giggled at the mention of Loki.

"Could he not have come here himself?"

Rowan glared at them. "He did not trust himself around you," he elbowed Olik again. "and rightly so."

They rolled their eyes and kept walking. Finally, they came to a small cove hidden by a wall of rocks. The Queen sat on the sand and looked up as they approached. The girls explained why they were there and she stood.

"Come. We must hurry before they leave for the north. The waters are too warm here. It is a long trek. I can only take you halfway." They nodded and she turned to leave, guiding them out of the cove and back into the forest. "I was expecting this to happen eventually. Loki told us that when the time came, he would send for our assistance. We cannot fight. But we can lure away the enemy soldiers."

"Good. We'll call for you when we're ready, then."

She nodded and looked around the dead forest. "If we're still alive..." She sighed and picked up the pace, working into a steady run. They followed her for some time, stopping every now and then to refresh. She led them to the entrance of a mountain pass. "This will take you to a bay. There will be a fishing village. Ask for Dahi. She'll help you if she trusts you."