Chapter 7

She stood beside a tired old horse, clutching at her necklace. Ebony stood beside her, her arm around her. She looked up at her mother and took in her red eyes and dried tears. Erin walked out of the gates and mounted his horse, smiling proudly down at Kenna. Garik ran from the palace and grabbed Kenna, hugging her almost to tight. He glared up at Erin. "If you hurt her, I'll kill you."

Ten years old and already rearing for a fight. Kenna smiled. It wouldn't come to that. She would make sure of it. She hugged her brother.

"Thank you." She whispered down to him. She looked towards the gates, catching her father's gaze and knowing there was nothing They could say to each other. What had come between them had come. Perhaps it was inevitable that she be torn away from him like this. Peace was rarely a gentle thing. She turned to say goodbye to her mother. Ebony swallowed hard and hugged her tight, kissing her cheek.

"Be careful. If anything, anything goes wrong, I want you to come home. No matter what it takes."

Kenna nodded. "I'll remember to write." Merek put a hand on her shoulder, signaling it was time to go.

"Rowan..." She glanced back into the gates. But there was no figure running out to meet her, to stop her. Perhaps he didn't want her after all.

Finally, blinking stinging eyes and swallowing in a tight throat, she mounted the old mare and followed Erin and his men down the path. A shout echoed to her and she turned to see Rowan running. He put his head down and sprinted to her. She pulled on the reins, trying to get her horse to stop. Erin glowered at Rowan and pulled on her mare's lead.

"The very least you could allow me is a farewell." She snapped. Erin tugged again, disinclined to speak to her as she had found out. Merek sidled his horse closer. There was a ringing clank as a sword slapped onto Erin's chest plate.

"I shall hold the lead." Merek murmured, leaning over to take it from Erin while keeping the sword carefully balanced.

"You'd dare threaten me?" Erin laughed.

"I'd dare to kill you but, unfortunately, King Thor wants the support of your sordid fief. Step aside. I am still within my rights to maim you should I feel you've harmed the princess."

Kenna turned away from them, swinging her leg over to slide down. She caught Rowan's headlong rush to her, her arms clutching tight around his back, her hands tangling in his hair as he buried his face in the crook of her neck. He gasped into her neck, trying to speak and failing.

"I'll be back." She muttered into his shoulder. "Two months and then a decision will be made. It might not come to marriage."

He shook his head and his arms tightened around her. There was a snarl from behind them as suddenly a hand snatched at Kenna's collar, pulling her back. She turned on her heel, her rising hand clenched into a fist as a flash of silver descended on Erin's shoulder.

"I said..." Merek growled, "Step. Aside."

"I am accompanying you out of the mercy of my own heart, Erin." Kenna snapped. "I am not your wife, your property, or the rich reward you think you deserve for your fight. For the sake of your fief, we've agreed to negotiate. Get your filthy hand off me or you can get your rich reward nice and early. In your goddamned grave."

Erin's hand lifted slowly and with it moved Merck's sword.

"I'd be careful, princess." He muttered. "Once we've left the city limits, your little guard here's got little power over me."

"Keep your hands to yourself and we won't have to worry about that." She turned away, dismissing him and his threats in favor of Rowan's embrace. "It'll be over soon." She said quietly. He tipped her chin up and kissed her quickly.

"Be careful. I love you."

"I'm growing impatient, Princess." Erin ground out. With a nod, Kenna mounted her mare in silence and allowed Erin to lead her away.

...........

The ride through the towns of the fief had been... troubling, to say the least. Some of them had been small, derelict, nearly lifeless with the loss of their men. Some had vibrated with the wailing of mothers and wives, the furious cries of citizens scorned. And some had been eerily silent, groups of widow, orphans, and parents clustered in watchful, wary bands as their weary caravan wound its way through.

Erin's town sat in the center of the fief. The people cheered at their leader's triumphant smile as they passed through the main road. There was no concern for the princess they had torn from her family, barely a woman and forced into the clutches of a man they shielded their own daughters from. But as Kenna looked around at the failing buildings and weary people, she could not fault them. They had been led into a glorious war and all for no reward, no retribution, only the loss of their men. Her life meant nothing to them. The royalty had done nothing worthwhile for them.

Dismounting in the town square, she walked to the horse that carried some of her things and grabbed her circlet from a small pouch. Placing it atop her head, she felt the action drive calm into her nervous stomach. She walked through the crowd to the fountain in the square. Climbing atop the stone ledge, she faced the crowd.

"Town of Erin! I have come at the request of your lord to stay with you for two months. You are well known to be a rebellious village. In wartime, we encouraged this. You fought bravely and lost much. I understand you have since been abandoned to repair your communities alone. I am here to rectify the situation in any way I can.

"There is no need to rebel. You know King Thor to be a good man. Yet you go to him not. No, you force our hand. I am not here to be coerced, threatened..." She turned her glare upon Erin. "Disrespected, assaulted. I will not have it. If you wish for your reward, your respect, then you must show you are worthy of it. A battle won is hardly reason enough to threaten civil war.

"For the sake of peace, in order to preserve the lives of those you have left, I have come. I should hope you could be willing to work with me and not against."

"That's all very fine and good." Erin clapped. "But let us see you put actions to your words!" A cheer rose up behind him.

"Very well." Lifting her skirts, she stepped down. "Let's get to work."

Turning from him, she made her way to the manor house. Merek followed close behind. She relaxed as she felt his hand press gently in the middle of her back, a silent signal that she could relax. A servant girl rushed to her side and Kenna smiled at her. "Hello. What's your name?"

The girl curtsied low. "Emmi, my lady. I am to serve you in your time here. Anything you need, please do not hesitate to ask."

Kenna smiled warmly at her. "Just call me Kenna. It's nice to meet you, Emmi. I hope that at least I can be friends with you." Emmi grinned and nodded.

"Oh, yes, miss! I'd like that very much!"

"Well, lead the way. You know where I'm supposed to be, I'm sure."

"Right this way, miss- I mean! Kenna." Emmi smiled and led her away. Kenna took her circlet off and walked behind the servant girl. She took in her sparse and run down surroundings, a far cry from the luxury she was accustomed to. And the people... their unrest grated at her mind. Their anger was right but so much of it from so many all at once; she had a headache already. Two months here. That's all. She sighed and closed her eyes, calming herself. Turning slightly, she looked over her shoulder at Merek.

His eyes smiled at her but his expression remained stoic. He nodded minutely and she smiled, satisfied that she could finish this and return home her own woman still.

-------

I feel like the original version of this was so unnecessary so we'll see what I can make of it now.