Chapter 15

Kenna stretched and groaned softly, feeling something in her back pop. She sighed and looked over at the small pond. Holt drank loudly from the water and Rowan knelt beside him, washing his face. She sat back in the warm sun, exhausted.

They had been released from their duties for three days. The moment they knew they were free; they grabbed their things and rode for the cabin by the sea. They were almost there now but it was a hot day and they'd been moving slowly. Kenna looked over as Rowan lay down beside her. He sighed.

"Let's get in there, settle down, and sleep for a bit. We can go to the beach when it cools down. What say you?" He asked. She nodded and turned on her side, curling up beside him. He pulled her closer and buried his face in her neck. "You're cold."

"Feel like I'm dying." She muttered. He chuckled.

"Come on. The faster we get there, the faster we can rest." They stood slowly and led the horses back onto the path. Rowan's horse, Agis, was a playful mare with a rich brown coat and large hazel eyes. She liked to sidle up beside Holt and nudge him for attention. Holt was a bit old but he had some spunk in him. He used to be a rebellious bugger but he'd calmed a bit. He'd warmed up to Agis along the way. He turned calmly to her now as Rowan brought her alongside. They started moving, their riders slumped in their seats and trying to stay awake.

Rowan saw the cabin first. Kenna was busy complaining and he grinned at her before throwing Agis into a gallop. Kenna shouted and followed after. He laughed and turned his head. "Come on then! First one there gets the bath first!"

"Oh, you're on!" She called. He yelped as Holt barreled past. Kenna grinned back at him as she brought Holt to a stop and jumped down. She did a little dance and then pulled her bags off Holt. She led him into the cool stables, murmuring to him. "You still have it in ya, boy. How about an apple for that? You get an apple and some oats, I get a bath. Sounds good."

Holt took his treat gratefully and let her brush him down. Rowan chuckled as Kenna pranced past him, headed to fill the tub. He set about putting their things away while he waited. She came out eventually and dropped onto the bed, relaxed and exhausted. "So tired!" She wailed.

"Did you take an ice bath?"

"Maybe, what's it to you? Water's fresh and warm so there."

Bending at the hip, he planted a loud kiss on her cheek. "I love you too."

She mumbled unintelligibly as she rolled under the duvet.

Kenna blinked herself awake some time later and looked over at Rowan. He'd fallen asleep atop the sheets, probably unsure if he was to be sharing the room with her. She rolled her eyes and slid over to his side. He stirred and turned to her sleepily. She pulled at the sheets.

"We're sharing the bed, stupid. Stop being such a gentleman."

He smirked and rolled under, pulling her against him. "Is that allowed?"

"I'm old enough to be married so I'm old enough to let you into my bed. Shut up and sleep."

His eyes drooped closed again and he kissed her forehead before he fell back to sleep. She smiled and closed her eyes, glad they had taken the time to come out alone. She'd talked to Loki and it seemed the future of this relationship would hang on whether Rowan could wait for her. She wouldn't be around much in the future.

.......

"Why did you want to wait until sunset?" He asked.

"Because. You'll see, come on!"

Rowan toed his boots off and curled his toes under the sand. Tying his hair back, he smiled into the salty breeze and followed Kenna around the rock formation. The horses were already turning towards a patch of green high on a hill. Kenna turned to grin at him as he gaped at the water. The sun blazed just on the horizon and the water caught the light, shining a bright orange. It faded into pink and violet farther out. But straight from the sun and out to shore it was a raging orange.