Chapter 9

Kenna jumped awake, noticing the rocking of the horse had stopped. She twisted at the waist to look behind at Merek but his hand pressed softly on her stomach. She waited, watching the flicker of his eyes, listening in the darkness for what alerted him. He relaxed slowly and shook his head before they began moving again.

"There are wolves nearby." He murmured.

"This close to the city?"

"The grazing fields are on the outskirts."

"Ah." She glanced aside at Emmi, taking in the girl's slumped posture and heavy eyelids. "Should we rest?"

Coming to a stop again, Merek sidled Kenna's horse closer to his, which he had given to Emmi for the journey. He dug in his bag for a lead and attached it to the reigns. "You both should rest."

"You're tired, Merek." Kenna twisted to frown at his slack expression and slow moving gaze. He shook his head and nudged the horses back into a gentle walk, the hand holding his reigns pressing Kenna's stomach again until she leaned into his chest.

"Rest. You'll need your energy."

Hours later, when dawn was beginning to peek over the horizon, Merek shook her awake. Kenna stretched her neck and sighed. When the sky was light with sunrise, she looked up and smiled at the sight of the palace looming over the city, perched on its isolated hill. They reached the palace grounds and Merek nudged the horses into a trot. The gates were opened as they approached and they sped through.

"Do you think Father will speak to me again?" She hesitated when Merek brought them to a stop.

He swung to the ground and held his hands up for her. "I am sure he's missed you very much. His mind is likely open to you already."

Sure enough, the doors opened slowly and out ran Loki.

"You're early!" He smiled.

"We had a bit of a disagreement." Kenna grimaced, letting Merek help her down so she could meet Loki. He didn't hesitate for a second but swept her up against his chest, sighing heavily into her hair.

"And I think you've grown." He muttered.

"I stopped growing three years ago and I'm sure you still remember that tantrum."

He laughed softly, squeezing her. "Perhaps something else changed then. Hm?" Holding her at arms length, he smiled broadly. "You've grown up, perhaps? You carry yourself differently today."

"I should hope so, after my first mission." She burrowed back into his chest, basking gleefully in the familiarity of him. She felt a rush of emotions foreign to her own mind. It eased slowly and became more comfortable as his mind opened to her again. She squeezed tighter, relief coursing through her. He rubbed her back and pulled away, tipping his head to indicate behind him. Footsteps came towards them. Kenna grinned and ran to her mother.

Ebony clutched her breathlessly, laughing to herself. "Oh my god, you are never leaving again." Kenna laughed, realizing how much she had missed her mother's concern."Tell me why Merek looks so tense." She whispered. She pulled back and smiled at Kenna. "Did he kick Erin's ass for me?" Kenna laughed and nodded. "I knew he'd never let me down."

"Kenna!" She looked up and smiled as Garik ran towards her, looking sleep tousled and excited. Rowan followed after him. She grinned and looked at her brother.

"Garik! Get over here. Much as you smell, I missed your hugs."

He grinned and hugged her tight. He tried to lift her but was still just a little too small. She laughed and lifted him instead. His laughing protests filled the halls as she trapped him in a headlock and rubbed her hand in his hair. He broke away and fixed his hair, moving to tackle her. He ran forward and shouted as he was suddenly lifted from the ground by his father. Loki threw him over his shoulder without hesitation.