3-Struggle

"Whatcha reading, Rosey?" Someone sneered.

Rosemary was trying to stay calm, but Chrysanthemum's taunts were getting on her nerves.

"Don't call me that," she growled.

"Woah, no need to get angry! I just wanted to know," Chrysanthemum said, her voice dripping with fake innocence.

Rosemary was having a tough time focusing on her story. She loved reading. She could escape into a world different from her own, one where she didn't have to worry about people accepting her.

She sighed, rolled up the scroll, and turned to face the older girl.

"What do you actually want?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Just leave me alone," Rosemary muttered, afraid of the consequences.

"Now, why would I do that?" Chrysanthemum said sweetly.

"Chrysy, is the rat bothering you?" One of Chrysanthemum's minions appeared beside her. 

"I can manage myself, Bluebell! Go back to whatever nonsense you were doing before!" Chrysanthemum snapped. Bluebell bowed her head quickly before going to her spot.

Rosemary felt a pang of sympathy for Bluebell. She also despised being called a rat.

"She calls you Chrysy?" She asked skeptically. Chrysanthemum glared, dove down, and pecked Rosemary's head. Rosemary flinched, pain stinging her vision.

"That's right, cower. I'm Queen Ivy's niece, you know. You treat me with respect. Unless you're my friend, you call me Chrysanthemum." She pranced away with her head held high.

A single tear rolled down the side of Rosemary's face. Not a single student had stood up for her, and neither had Professor Aloe. She was truly alone. I'll show them, she thought. When I explore The Ruins, they'll have no choice but to praise me.

History was next, and Rosemary trudged to the section where Professor Pine taught.

"Alright, everybody. This sun, you'll be learning about the Krylivian Revolution.

"As you all know, this land was once ruled by the mighty Aeglis, God of the eagles. He was a harsh ruler. He left us crows to starve and took all the resources for the eagles.

"Then one sun, Érka, goddess of crows, decided she was fed up with how we were treated. She gathered a rebellion, and together, Érka and her rebels killed Aeglis and his eagles. Érka then created our land to keep us safe from the dangers of the outside world. She named it Kryliva, or 'Forest of crows'" 

Rosemary spaced out after a while, tired of all the lectures.

This sun, the school was released early. Rosemary knew that Clover had forgotten, so she immediately headed for her secret branch. She had to limit her time there, or Clover would know where she had been. The sun was just past halfway up, giving her plenty of time.

The sun glistened off the water and bounced off The Ruins. A soft breeze rippled the water and ruffled Rosemary's feathers. A fish jumped out of the water, catching the sunlight. Rosemary's stomach growled at the sight. She knew she could never go down to the lake. Instead, she found some viallé berries growing in the tree next to her's.

"I know you want to."

Viallé (Vee-ALL-ay) fruit: A type of berry unique to Kryliva, sold at their market

Sun- 1 rotation of Érthe or 24 hours

Peck- Equivalent of a punch