6-Goodbyes

The rain happened to have let up by the time Rosemary got back to her home. The ground had that érthe-y smell that only came after the first rain of the season. Kryliva got lots of rain in The Awakening.

Rosemary's house was quiet without Clover. There was something about Clover's presence that Rosemary thought kept everything balanced. Without Clover, the world seemed to crumble beneath her talons.

"Mom, I'm back!" Rosemary called, shaking the water off of her repellent feathers.

"Great. When your father gets home, we'll head out."

Rosemary didn't know why she expected another hug from her mother, but she was still disappointed when she didn't receive one. For the past two moons, she only got affection from Clover.

How did my life get so messed up? Rosemary knew the answer but didn't know why it had to be that way. Why did the world hate her for who she loved?

___

Rosemary's father entered the house looking dazed and worn-out. His feathers were in disarray, and his eyes were bloodshot. The news must have hit hard. After all, the only daughter he had left ruined his reputation and cost him his old job.

"Hi, Dad," Rosemary said from her perch in the corner.

"It's 'Father' or 'Sir' to you!" He snapped. Rosemary flinched. Some things never change.

Once everyone was organized, the family set off into the growing darkness. The Buil would meet them at the entrance to Hyvani. Then Clover would be laid to rest in the vast field of flowers. Everyone would pay their respects and help Desni guide Clover's spirit to Desilé, then it would be over. The ceremony would be a peaceful farewell and a quiet celebration of Clover's life.

However, Rosemary didn't feel calm or peaceful. Instead, she felt a sense of dread and creeping anxiety. It would be the last time she ever saw Clover. It would also be the first time she would be on her own. If she went through with her plan of running away, that is.

So much had happened in just a few suns. Rosemary had met Rhododendron, been told that Krylivian history was a lie, and had lost her sister.

And yet, Rosemary knew there was still so much to come. Only Feyhu knew what lay ahead of her.

There was only a pinpoint of light left by the time Rosemary's family reached the edge of Hyvani. Luckily, one of the three Buil had Lumi Moss to light the way.

"Welcome to Hyvani, the final resting place," the navy-colored Buil said. "You are for Clover, yes?"

"That's right," Rosemary's mother said tearfully.

"Follow us."

As they walked through the flowers, Rosemary could make out the shapes of corpses in different states of decay. It was disturbing but calming to know that they were all in a better place now.

After a few minutes of walking, the Buil with the moss motioned for everyone to stop. Just to the right of Rosemary, a large crow was standing with a woven stretcher still tied to his talon. Lying delicately upon the moss and twigs was Clover. Or her body anyway.

The third Buil walked over to the carrier. Together they gently slid Clover off of the stretcher and into the grass.

"This sun, we honor the life of Clover," the navy Buil began. "Daughter of Foxglove and Alderwood, sister of Rosemary, and child of Érka.

"She was a shining star in our kingdom who was tragically taken from us this morning. We know she will continue to rise and grow in Hyvani, for she lived a life of love and joy.

"Desni, if you hear our voices, please escort Clover safely to your kingdom and protect her spirit."

Rosemary took a deep breath she didn't know she needed. Since she was the youngest, she would call out first. She poured all her love for Clover and all her pain into a single scream.

Her mother went next, and then everyone had cried out to the goddess of death. The silence that followed filled the space between them, and Rosemary could almost feel Desni's presence.

Rosemary turned to her mother, who was silently crying. Her father was gazing off into the distance with his wing wrapped around Foxglove. They both sighed before looking at Rosemary.

"You two go ahead. I'll catch up in a minute," Rosemary told them. Her father nodded, and then they were off. They were just two dark specks in an even darker sky.

Little did her parents know, they wouldn't see Rosemary again for a long time.

Desilé (Dez-EEL-ay): Land of the Dead/Underworld. Named after Desni, goddess of death.

Érthe (EHRTH): The name of the planet/world. Derived from the ancients' tongue. Named after the nature goddess, Érka.

Lumi (LOO-me) moss: Bioluminescent moss that grows in the northernmost parts of Kryliva.