21: BOTH RECKLESS

ADAMAWA STATE, NIGERIA.

And then the spell was broken when she felt that there is no tangle anymore in her head, Zayd reluctantly remove his hands from her hair and hunted for the comb on the vanity table which he found a scarlet one with no trouble. She surfed through her hair gently, making sure to take notice of any discomfort but nothing, she didn't even wince. She kept staring at him in the mirror that he started feeling uncomfortable. He rubbed different oils she's passed to him on the hair.

"How do you want the hair?" He asked, pushing the entire red silky length to one side of her shoulder where she stared at the coiffed hair.

She smiled at his question wondering whether he really knows what to do with the hair and decided to test him. "A fishtail in the middle."

He didn't answer her but started working on getting all the hairs in the same place, his fingers weaving through her cascading, voluminous hair. In a few minutes after a few failed attempts, her hair is plaited in one fishtail right in the middle of her head with its tail trailing down her back. Her eyes stayed wide on the mirror, looking from side to side at the amazing work he just did. She blinked again, looked at his oily hands then grimaced.

"Where did you learn how to do this? I hope this isn't what you went to learn at the NDA?" Her eyes are still on her head, amazement shining in both her eyes and her tone. Because what the heck?!

Her expression is pinched and words heavy with sarcasm because she just recalled why she dislikes him. Something about this type of meekness of his and malleable nature that makes her easily irritated and annoyed. Her lips slashed into a white line, her posture rigid and cords twanging in the neck. Yes, she's lost herself for a moment there and she won't allow that to continue. She even told him about her aunt, he shouldn't know anything about her. Not even her real name!

Zayd not bothered about her change of attitude, he shrugged his shoulders. "My mom always punish me by asking me to do her hair, I started loving it along the way then came Bee, I enjoy making her hair too."

Her expression slackened a bit at that, all anger slipping away. She's always loved the relationship between their family, they are so close and loving that she gets envious sometimes. People shouldn't be this perfect at all, there should be flaws which she is damn sure there is but they never show it to anyone beside themselves. Not even their other relatives know what it is they don't have in common, their closeness is nauseating in her point of view. There is never a fight between them when it is a well known fact that living together brings unnecessary quarrel.

The brother and sister love each other to death, their relationship effortless and adorable. Both parents are deeply in love with each other, never have any doubt in their relationship with the way they enjoy public display of affection even in front of their children. And the four of them joined together produce this picture perfect of family that she's never got to enjoy with her own. They would've been something like that with her own younger sister or brother for her mother loved the idea of having more children as she recalled.

Blinking back her tears, she cleared her throat. "That's nice. I need something to wear. Maybe my night shirt. It's there inside the closet on the sofa, red one."

Zayd nodded and left the room to the closet by the other end of it. He came back holding the shirt and stared at her from the door leading to the walk-in closet. She looks divine and heavenly, like an Angel that mistakenly drop to the earth for fresh air. He would've been attracted to her had he met her after they graduated from high school but after spending his last year with her, there is no an ounce or atom of admiration for her.

He is physically attracted to her, no doubt and that is it. He is a man and she is a woman, it is expected.

She pivoted around to look at him, her eyes held his immediately and then something happened right there and then. The eye contact was deep and prolonged, filled with this electric feeling that they both don't know what it means. Both their gazes explored and suggest the words their mouths won't be able to say even held at gun point.