Chapter 3

April was certain that they had to get someone to believe that she saw the four heroes, she had to know. Shira was the first to see them when she came to and they have a distress being in their hands. At the newsroom, April met Burnett Thompson at the door. She was obviously excited and speaking very quickly.

"All right, what was so important that I had to get here?" Thompson demanded.

"You know how I saw the vigilante?" April asked. "But I had no photos or evidence to show you, so I just sounded crazy. I saw him again. Well, I didn't see him again, I saw them, because there's four. There's not just one, there's four. And I was standing as close to them as you are to me right now."

"What'd they look like?" Thompson asked.

"'ll show you."

April explained everything she learned the night before. She'd recognize the Japanese symbol- the one that meant family- from her father's lap all those years ago.

She remembered that her father had to conduct experiments for Eric Sacks. She'd first met the box turtles in the lab. They were a part of the experiment. somehow the turtles have been mutated. April was sure of it. She pulled out a conspiracy board with Japanese symbols, photos of turtles and the blurred figure that Shira had taken. "Well, they don't look like turtles because they are turtles. They're over six feet tall and they speak English. I was awake all night, googling all of the thwarted crimes over the past three months, and this symbol appeared at every single one. Look! Every single one of them. This one, look. And it's an ancient Japanese symbol that means "family.' Wait, it's on my laptop." She took out her camera to show why.

"I can't believe you brought me in to do this!" Thompson moaned, feeling skeptical.

"It's here, it's here," April repeated. "This is my father's lab. This is the same lab where these things were born or created or mutated. Or, I don't know the terminology, but will you please just look at what I'm showing you and listen to me. It's all connected. The turtles are the vigilantes and the vigilantes are these turtles," She showed her the video. Her eight year old self was feeding the turtles pizza. It was one of the turtle's favorites.

Thompson raised an eyebrow, feeling that April has gone crazy and yet, she is clear that she doesn't believe April or what she was saying.

"I just want to be clear. You are now telling me that there are four six-foot talking turtles walking around New York City, and no one has seen them but you?" she asked, obviously.

"That's what I'm telling you," said April.

"I don't mean to laugh, but is there anything else we should know about them?"

"They're ninjas."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"And they do karate." April didn't even get the chance to show the picture Shira had taken from the escaped turtles.

Later that evening, Vern Fenwick was at the Channel News van. It was the least he could do before she showed up. "O'Neil! It could have been worse," he said.

"I just got fired, Vern. How could it be worse?" moaned April, carrying her stuff outside.

"Maybe it's good. Maybe you should take a little time, take care of yourself. Come on, let me give you a ride," said Vern.

"Not unless you're going to the Eric Sacks estate. I'm not giving up on this story," she replied and went into the van.

"You gotta put that to bed."