"Angel of Death"

Katia's POV:

Steve had stayed flying for the rest of the journey back.

I twisted my dagger over and over again to give me something to do for the last four hours. None of us spoke after my mother's words. I leaned back into my seat, wrapping both my wings around my mom and my other mom- Nat. I saw her as a mother when I didn't have one. I hope that when I eventually have kinds of my own, they think of me the same way I think of them two.

The three of us were huddled together and Wanda was leaning up against my front, nearly asleep with Vision next to her.

"Mom, tell me the story of what he did again. I know it's not the best story but it distracts me." I asked quietly, placing my knife back into my thigh holster.

She leant sideways, kissing my head and adjusting her wings a bit. We were sat sightly awkwardly as some of the feathers on her wings kept brushing my nose which was making me sneeze. "You okay with everyone knowing it, Katia?" She asked in a calm tone. I nodded before she took a deep breath. "Okay. I was young for an Asgardian, similar age to your friend's brother, Loki. In the Asgardian court, my family was noble, respected highly by the king and queen. I was betrothed to someone in the court: someone I  had no romantic interest in and only viewed as a friend. to marry him would have destroyed our bond. So I hooked up with the son of another noble, his name was Öar."

The bloody bitch of a man.

"It was a few months before I started an anonymous rumour that Öar had  bedded me.  I was shamed out of being a Lady in Waiting and shamed out of my betrothal. It was so completely worth it. I fell in love with him during our time together. When I found out I was pregnant with you." She looked at me with a sad smile. "I was exhilarated. I told him and he trashed the entire room, yelling and yelling that I was to get rid of it. Thank the Mother I refused. He said that a child outside of marriage would ruin him. He poisoned me. Only a strong enough dose so that I would miscarriage within about three days. I killed him. I dragged a sword along his neck and savoured the hateful look in his eye. But I was still poisoned, and I begged Heimdall to look for someone that had a cure. I was exiled for sure so getting out didn't reflect badly on Heimdall. He told me he found someone and sent me to Titan." She swallowed harshly, her expression turning to steel. "It was Thanos who had the cure. The only way to get the cure was to join him. So I bargained my existence so that you could have yours."

Some time within her story, Steve had turned around to listen. He leaned forwards with his hands on his knees. "You sold yourself?"

"Yes. And I got the cure. But I made a deal that once Katia was born then I could send her away without telling him where. But that bastard wanted you too. When he killed me, the bargain ended on my part so I panicked and sent her away before all my magic went from my body. Apparently, Thanos still thinks he's entitled-"

"To me." I said. "He still think's he's entitled to have me. Not that he will. I made a vow to myself that he will die by my hands. If he doesn't, I'll bring him back myself so that I get a shot."

Nat turned to me, he face surprised. "Surely bringing people back is dangerous?"

Mom looked at both of us sternly, a way only a goddess can. "It is. It defies the law of nature. Nature requires balance. To bring someone back you hate, it requires sacrifice of someone you love or yourself. I will not have you meddle with that sort of magic. That magic haunts people, changes them. promise me you will stay away from it."

I stare down, anger flaring in my chest. "I can't make any promises."

"Katia. Look at me." She ordered in a tone I have never heard her speak in. I looked up, meeting the eyes I inherited. "There is a reason people like us are almost extinct. Why do you think even Thor didn't recognise the Asgardian attributes or link them to Asgardians. We come from a line of winged Asgardian witches. We meddled with that magic too much. Nature required balance. Every person in every coven who had brought back a soul dropped dead. The only ones left were my mother and grandmother, me and those in my coven who were not old enough yet to practice. We are the only ones left Katia. I will not have you kill yourself in order to bring me back. You have thousands of years a head of you still."