The Second Task

The next morning felt chaotic. Student's were in a buzz about going down to the Black Lake, unknowing about why or what the task was. It was also February, so it was still freezing out and I was not looking forward to plunging myself into the Black Lake. I wore my swimsuit underneath my warm Gryffindor garments. Harry and I were walking alongside Neville, down to the lake, searching along as we went for Hermione and Ron. According to the other students they hadn't returned to the common rooms last night and that was a bit unnerving.

"Are you sure about this, Neville?" I asked nicely as I could. The worry poking through my voice as he handed me the Gillyweed.

"Absolutely." He assured me.

"For an hour?" Harry asked.

"Most likely." Neville nodded slightly.

"Whoa, most likely?" I questioned him quickly.

"Well, there is some debate amongst Herbologists as to the effects of fresh water versus salt water, but..."

"You're telling us this now?!" Harry snapped. "You must be joking?"

"I-I just wanted to help." Neville stuttered at Harry's raised voice.

"I-It's fine, Neville. You've done more for us today than anyone." I sighed as we reached the books and looked around some more. "Where are they? Ron and Hermione?"

"You both seem a bit tense, Olivia an Harry." Neville pointed out.

"Do we?" We both said through gritted teeth.

We made it out into the middle of the lake, on platforms that had been made for us all. Harry and I stood alongside the other champions on the lowest platform, while students and spectators stood above us, or next to us on the other two platforms.

"Welcome to the second task." Dumbledore announced. "Last night, something was stolen from each of our champions. A treasure of sorts. These five treasures, one for each of our champions, now lie on the bottom of the Black Lake. In order to win, each champion need only find their treasure and return to the surface. Simple enough..."

"Put those in your mouths." Moody growled as Harry and I approached the edge of the deck.

I gulped and looked at the slimy green looking worm in my hand. I put it in my mouth and quickly swallowed, trying not to think about it. I shivered in disgust. My stomach began to feel weird. Harry did the same, but was gagging on his. They were positively disgusting.

"Except for this!" Dumbledore continued to speak. "They will have but one hour to do so, and one hour only. After that, they'll be on their own. No magic will save them." Professor Moody started to beat on Harry's back as he gagged. "You may begin at the sound of the cannon!"

The cannon suddenly went off and I jumped into the water,, taking in a deep breath, praying I wasn't about to die. My skin suddenly felt tense and restricting. I reached up and scratched at my neck, as my body floated down and down, further into the water. The pain stopped and I felt like I could breath again. I felt my neck once more and realized I had gills. My toes had webbed together and so had my hands. I looked around and saw Harry blast up out of the water happily.

I shook my head and began looking for this so called 'treasure'. Viktor swam by me and nudged me with his head. I was startled slightly seeing his transfiguration had gone a bit wonky, his head was a Great White Shark. We gave each other thumbs up and went our separate ways. The was was dark and murky, it didn't feel as cold as it first had. I felt like I was swimming in circles forever, with no way to tell time. I suddenly started to hear a soft singing voice of the merpeople. That had to be where the treasure resided.