Chapter 4: The Surprise

"Are you mad?" asked Spencer. He was still driving, it had been forty minutes since we left the school. Grace had text me and told me to have fun. She said she took care of my parents so I couldn't use that as an excuse to get out of this. I was nervous, but not mad. 

I half smiled. "No." I admitted. This amused him.

"Well," he began. "Then what are you?" I looked away from the window I had been staring out of and turned to face him.

"Impatient." I settled on. "Where are you taking me? And are we almost there?" I asked. He chuckled. He sounds so amazing when he does that.

"Relax. We're technically here." he said. "Just give me five more minutes." I decided that was fair enough. We were driving through some town. I'd never seen it before. After five minutes we pulled up to a huge lot packed with cars.

"Well, it looks like there's anywhere to park. Maybe you should just take me back" I said.  If you don't stop sounding so rude he's never going to want to hang out with you again. That was probably true, but come on. I don't know this guy and he didn't exactly ask me out on this date. What was Grace thinking setting me up with some complete stranger? I don't recall her ever going on a date with someone we didn't already know from school. 

"Hey, princess?" he asked with a smirk on his face.

"What?" I asked in return.

"Relax. " he chuckled. I looked around at my surroundings. We were parked in-between an SUV and a Dodge Truck. I couldn't really see much beyond the cars. 

"Forgive me, but I don't really know you." I said, dropping our usual flirtatious banter. 

"I'm obviously not dangerous or your friend wouldn't have helped me ask you out. Besides, that's why we're on a date. To get to know each other better." he reassured me. It seemed safe enough, being in public. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thrilled to be on a date with him. It was all just so  new to me. 

"Well now that we're here, what are we going to do?" I asked.

"Ride some rides." he said while opening his door. I watched him as he walked around to my side of the car. He opened my door for me and held out his hand.

"Thanks." I said cautiously as he helped me climb out of the car. He's hot, and a gentleman? Yeah, right. 

"Anytime, Princess." he said.

"You know," I began. "You don't have to keep calling me that." He put his hand on my lower back and guided me through the lot. I looked up to see thousands of lights in the distance. Grace must have told him that I love fairs.

"I want to." he said simply.

"Why is that?" I asked stubbornly.

"Everyone needs a pet name." he said. We had just come up to the gate. There was an elderly man behind the booth. "Two please." said Spencer. He paid and the gentleman handed him two tickets.

"Thank you." Spencer responded. 

"You two enjoy your evening together." the man said as he smiled. Spencer guided me through a crowd up to a booth. He asked the woman behind the glass for two wristbands. Once the woman had put the wristbands on us Spencer turned towards me.

"Okay Princess, what do you want to ride first?" he asked.

"That one!" I yelled excitedly. I pointed to one of the roller coaster rides.

"The ring of death?" he scoffed. "I took you as more of a Ferris Wheel and Bumper cars kind of girl." he said and I smiled.

"I like those things too." I admitted. I felt sheepish getting so excited over childish things. But I couldn't help it. The rides were just so much fun. The whole atmosphere felt intoxicating.