2. Mate?

*Alpha Knox*
We've been sitting at the bar watching the other alpha betas and lunas talk amongst each other for almost an hour, everyone is dressed in sparkling gowns and black tux's. Alpha Blake and his beta HAVENT shown up . Jaxons been wallowing in his pity silently. A silent Jaxon can only mean one of three things. He's pissed, he's dead or he's sad. He's 2 out of three so far and if he doesn't stop being so oddly silent I might make it 3 for 3.
Jax looks at me and sighs and I mentally thank the goddess for ending this deafening silence.

"I don't know man, I'm just so tired of waiting, what if , what if I don't have a mate? What if she's human and across the world? What if, wha- what if she-she's oh fuck, Ryan what if she's dea-"
"NO-"
I look at Jaxons defeated face and I see myself. His eyes watery, lip trembling, he looks so , so broken.

I know his pain. His thought are my own. And the shitty thing is that there's nothing anyone can do about it.

"Don't do that. Don't you do that to yourself Jax. The goddess wouldn't take away your blessing. You deserve one more than anyone I know. And when you find her I know you'll cherish her and hold her close. You'll be a great mate, you'll find her."

Our hushed whispers would look harsh and intimidating to outsiders but only the two of us know how broken we feel. Jaxon just gives me a small nod and I nudge his shoulder with a small nod of my own. Being upset in public is never good to show, especially to other alphas. We look cold and intimidating but we need to be able to let our emotions show, we just need to keep up our facade until we get to the car. We can have our pity party there.
"Come on Jax, let's get out of here"

Just as I was about to stand, the large double doors to the entrance of the ball screech open and a name was being announced.

" Beta Darius of Black Moon Pack"

Suddenly I could smell the most enticing scent, max started whining happily and I knew. I just knew, My mate was here. My mate was actually fucking here! I'm overcome with joy and shock, why am I just noticing this smell now? Did they come with Beta Darius? A sudden hot rage of jealousy  surges through me at the thought of someone else with my mate. I look at Jax only to see his eyes wide and nose in the air. His eyes met mine and I knew.

Alpha My mate is here
He yips  happily in my mind whilst maintaining an emotionless expression on his face.
"I think I've found mine too Jax" I whisper low enough for just him to hear.
That was enough to crack his facade just a little as I saw the corners of his lips twitch into a small smile.

I drag him to a private room off to the side and close the door. Once I'm sure we can't be heard I turn to smile at him whilst he lets out a nervous laugh.

"Okay okay oh my goddess okay it's happening, it's really happening oh my goddess I hope I'm not dreaming. Am I dreaming ? I swear I-"

I quickly jabbed his shoulder
"Snap out of it"

"Okay sorry wow okay, I'm okay. Wow. Okay I'm okay Alright Gameplan! Let's go find our mates ! I'll take left you take right, mind link updates."

I just nod feeling tension build in the pit of my stomach, I feel like I might explode!

"Ready?"
"Ready."
"Okay , and GO!"

He shouts and runs out of the booth. I just chuckle lowly before sniffing the heavenly scent of minty chocolate and freshly fallen rain and following it like a lost puppy.

I'm lead towards the corner of the room when I see  a large muscular attractive man, that's....beta Darius? My face feels hot and I decide to make my way towards him. I would've thought I'd be awestruck at the sight of my mate and while I can appreciate that he's attractive I just don't feel very.....attracted to him.