4. Problems

Nick looked at the paper in his hand and decided to call Elle, hoping she knew what to do with Charlie. He couldn't just leave him like that.

"Elle here."

"Hi, it's Nick Nelson?"

"Nick! Hi, yes Tao said you'd be calling me. Is this about Charlie?"

Nick sighed and told Elle the whole story. He only heard 'mhm' at the other side of the line. "Yeah, so that's basically why i need your help."

Elle sighed and Nick took that as a bad sign. "I'm sorry Nick, Charlie was a very reserved person back then, he never shared intimate stuff. I can't help you. Sorry."

Nick felt like his whole world shattered. "Th- thanks Elle." he ended the call and went upstairs to try and talk to Charlie.

"Char?" he knocked on the door but no response. He called his name again, but no response. He tried the doorknob. It was unlocked. He entered the bedroom and saw Charlie sleeping.

"Charlie?" he walked and stood next to the bed. He stroked Charlie's forehead and Charlie opened his eyes. "Nick? What the fuck are you doing."

"I- I wanted to see if you're okay since this morning."

"And I wanted to sleep. Leave."

"But-"

"Mate, i told you to leave."

"You- you never called me that." Nick looked at Charlie who didn't care. He just looked annoyed.

"Nick, I'm tired, just, leave."

Nick turned around and closed the door. He went down the stairs and sat on the couch thinking about what Charlie said. Mate. It sounded so wrong coming from him. He tried to think about something else but the word circled in his brain, repeatedly. He wanted to cry.

_______

Charlie walked down the stairs to the living room and saw Nick sleeping. He decided to drink something and tried to not wake him up. 

He took a cup from the shelf and then another cup fell down, waking up Nick. He looked around and smiled. "Charlie!!"

"What?" 

"You're eating disorder is better."

Charlie scoffed. "What makes you think that."

"Cause- cause you're in the kitchen." Nick felt like he said something wrong and Charlie's expression didn't help.

"I can stand in the kitchen, can't I. Or am I only allowed in the kitchen, when i can eat?"

"N- n- no that wasn't what i meant."

"Don't bother." Charlie walked to the hanger and grabbed his coat. "Salute."

"W- wait, where are you going?" 

"To Tao. Cheers mate." Charlie opened the door and left. Nick felt hopeless. He looked at the kitchen counter and saw something shimmer. He walked to it and when he saw what it was, his heart sank. It was their engagement. A thousand questions ran through his head. 

Did Charlie hate him? Is this a joke? Did he forget to put it on? Why did he even take it off?

He didn't know what to do and felt like he wanted to cry.