I Was There When You're Nervous

.

.

.

(I was there when you're nervous)

In the first few months of his employment in the Theerapanyakun main family house, Pete was put into a preparation program. Phi Chan said it would last 8 to 12 months in total, especially for a greenie like him who didn't even know how to hold guns. It was basically like school all over again, but this one is actually important for his life in the future.

The main family takes bodyguard training seriously, since they know investing in their people would determine how their business would run. They wanted their bodyguard to be dependable in any circumstances, to be able to save themselves while still prioritizing the safety of their bosses. Pete learned a lot of things in the program, from martial arts, weaponry, survival, foreign languages, and also basic business and medicine. Pete learned all of them diligently at the age of 18, sometimes even considering it as the college he never went to.

After the preparation program was done, some chosen bodyguards were placed in different duties with a rotation system - just to see in which area they were the best at. Phi Chan said it's similar to the concept of interns in companies, where they come and observe - not yet a bodyguard on duty but would be there for knowledge purposes.

And that was the first time Pete met him.

Khun Vegas, Phi Chan called him. He was not much older than Pete, probably even at the same age. He was still in college, but his father, Khun Kann, the younger brother of Khun Korn, had made him tag along everywhere for business purposes. Afterall, he was the heir of the minor family who needed to learn about business, much like Khun Kinn.

Pete learned that the major and minor family have a monthly meeting at the main family mansion once a month, like a work in progress meeting where they discuss the business and its branches. The young masters were given duties under observation, Phi Chan said it's for exercise purposes. The next thing Pete learned was that both of the heirs (Khun Kinn and Khun Vegas) needed to present the progress of their duties so everyone can assess the result.

Pete was standing beside Phi Chan when both young masters delivered their presentation. Khun Kinn went first, as this family always took the age order very seriously. Pete could see that he was smart, well-prepared, and calm. His father nodded once a while to show interest, asking a few questions to clarify things. Khun Kann also asked a few questions, more critically, but nothing Khun Kinn cannot handle.

"Okay, now let's hear the progress from Vegas. We know that unlike Kinn, this is your first ever duty. Don't be too nervous," Khun Korn said with his usual wise tone. But from the way Khun Vegas looked, he was nervous. Pete noticed that he kept playing with his fingers while listening to Khun Kinn's presentation, he kept tapping his left leg on the floor. If people observed as intense as Pete did, they would also notice Khun Vegas' shaking hand as he inserted the USB drive into the laptop in front of him.

From the presentation, Pete could see that the progress of Khun Vegas' duty wasn't that much different to that of Khun Kinn. A little bit behind, but it's not significant. The presentation, though, was different. It was clear to see that this was Khun Vegas' first time, and the weird thing was he kept looking at his father who didn't look amused at all. Pete also noticed that Khun Vegas gulped a few times every time his father looked away, seemingly not interested, but he kept going to finish what he had to deliver.

Khun Korn nodded as the presentation finished. Pete noticed that Khun Vegas balled his two hands into fists, eyebrows furrowed making him look uncomfortable.