Chapter Three

The next morning I woke up feeling refreshed, and excited. I quickly got up and changed into some athletic wear. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror as I changed, and frowned at my reflection.

I traced the two raised lines across my stomach with my fingers.

I had been in New York during the attack. I got caught in the crossfire, and it resulted in the two ugly scars across my abdomen. I pulled my shirt down and left the mirror and my discomfort behind.

I arrived at the training rooms at the same time Natasha did. We decided to go through a workout together, and then we decided to spar. Natasha was a lot better than me, but she went easy on me a bit. I still lost against her quite a bit, but it was better to learn from your mistakes than from your triumphs.

After about thirty minutes of sparring, the doors to the training rooms opened, and in walked Thor, Steve, Bucky, and... Loki. I stopped sparring, resulting in Natasha hooking her foot behind mine and tripping me. I landed on the ground with a thud, and glared at the widow as I rubbed my elbow. She shrugged and grinned, but helped me up.

"You two finishing up?" Steve asked.

Natasha and I nodded. I looked behind the captain to Bucky, and gave him a small smile. He nodded in return, but I didn't take the lack of bubbliness to heart. I'd been told of his situation (and I'd seen it on the news) so I understood why he kept to himself.

Thor and Steve however, both gave me smiles, the former's being much bigger. Thor seemed to love everybody, and that sat well with me.

And then I set my eyes on Loki. He was already looking at me, and he narrowed his eyes and looked down his nose at me. I clenched my fists at the snobbery, aching to punch his perfect face in. Natasha must have noticed, because she interrupted my daydream of throwing a weight at his head.

"Y/n and I are getting breakfast now," she said.

I blinked away my daydream and smiled at Thor, Steve, and Bucky, and ignored Loki on my way out.

"Why do you hate him so much?" Nat asked as we ate breakfast.

I shrugged.

"I just don't like him," I said. "He's a homicidal maniac, and a killer."

Natasha regarded me carefully.

"I'm a killer," she said.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"But do you revel in it?" I asked. "Do you enjoy watching people die? I know you don't." Natasha raised an eyebrow, and I rolled my eyes. "Okay, maybe there are some people you enjoy watching die, but Loki... he likes seeing innocent people hurt."

Natasha sighed deeply and shook her head.

"He might seem like that on the outside, but you'll warm up to him eventually," she said.

I rolled my eyes and continued eating my food in silence. After my breakfast, I decided to do some more exploring. I'd seen every floor in the tower, but there was somewhere I really wanted to go.

And that's how I found myself staring at the stash of chocolate someone kept in the vents. The vents in the tower were an intricate system of tunnels throughout the tower, and provided access for every floor, and a lot of eavesdropping.

While I sat in the vents and ate the stash of chocolate, I thought about what Natasha had said about warming up to Loki. Would I really do that? The thought seemed impossible. He killed thousands, all within four days. Besides, he was the cause of the ugly scars that lined my body. I scowled as I thought back to the one time I had gone to a public pool after the Battle of New York. I had never felt so seen, and I'd hated it. People gaped and stared, and I'd never allowed much skin to show ever since.

After wallowing in my anger for a while, I exited the vents and walked around, looking for someone to talk to. In the common room, I found my dad glaring at Bucky, and Bucky had his arms crossed.

"For the last time, Clint, I didn't steal your chocolate!" Bucky exclaimed.

"You're the only other person who goes in the vents," my dad accused.

My eyes widened and I stepped back slowly. My dad turned to look at me, and then at the chocolate wrapper in my hand.

"Oh, wow, look at that," I said. "Where could that have come from?"

My dad narrowed his eyes at me. His eyes held mixed emotions, and he finally just sighed.

"Now I need a new hiding place," he complained. "Sorry, Bucky."

Bucky just rolled his eyes and left, but I caught a glimpse of a chocolate wrapped poking out from his pocket. My dad had apparently missed it, and I shook my head to myself.

hey guys... i completely forgot i was writing this story 😭😅 i'm gonna try to write more of it... the first few chapters were a teaser but i've literally left it for almost two whole months...

anywayyysss i hope you're enjoying it so far! let me know what you think <3