Chapter Four

A month later and I still hadn't warmed up to Loki like Natasha had suggested I would. There was just something about him that pissed me off. Whenever I saw his face I always thought about hitting him with a car.

I'd become friends with everyone else, however, even those who were more reserved. I trained with them all a lot, but sometimes I had to train with Loki.

Unfortunately, that was today. We stood in the ring, circling one another. We weren't allowed to do any serious harm to each other (I'd been told that the first time I'd sparred against him, to my disappointment), but I could still punch him and get away with it. I feinted left and aimed right, attacking his exposed side. Loki quickly dodged and blocked my attack, sending one back. It was easy to block, and I scowled at him.

"Stop going easy on me," I snapped. "Just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I can't fight."

Loki narrowed his eyes. His fist shot for my face, and then suddenly I was staring up at the ceiling, blinking at the bright lights.

"Oh. You're awake," my dad said. "You okay?"

I blinked and sat up, shaking my head.

"When did you get here?" I asked.

"Minute ago," my dad said. "Loki broke your jaw."

"Apologies," the god said, not sounding very sorry at all.

I narrowed my eyes at the god and stood up, brushing myself off.

"I'm going on a walk," I muttered, before leaving the room.

I walked out of the tower and down the streets of New York, letting out a breath. I had been hoping to be the one to get a good hit in during that session. I looked at the reflection of one of the windows, and noticed that my jaw wasn't bruised at all, and it didn't hurt. Loki probably healed it because he had too.

I was too busy thinking about Loki that I didn't realise someone was in the alley beside me, until I was pulled in.

"Is this the Barton girl?" someone asked.

"Looks like it," another said.

I pulled out of the grip of the first person and fisted my hands. There were five people in the alley, and all were of strong build.

Someone reached for me, and I twisted away before throwing a kick to their gut. They went down, and the other four came at me. I dodged and kicked and punched, but eventually someone pushed me hard enough that my head hit the brick wall behind me. My vision went blurry, and a figure reached for me. Suddenly, the figure slumped to the floor, and something green appeared.

"Are you alright?" a familiar voice asked.

I groaned as I recognised it, and tried to sit up.

"Perfectly fine, yeah," I mumbled, touching the back of my head.

My vision had cleared slightly, but I still had a throbbing headache. I pulled my hand back to see a bit of blood on my fingers.

"Allow me," Loki said, kneeling beside me and reaching for my head.

I smacked his hand away, and he frowned at me.

"I am trying to help," he said.

I glared at him and he sent a small jet of light at my head. Almost instantly, my vision cleared, and my head began to feel a lot better.

"We must get back to the tower now," Loki said. "Your father will be worried."

"Don't tell him," I said.

Loki cocked an eyebrow at me, and I shook my head. I didn't want my dad finding out, because then he might send me back home.

"I'll be fine," I said.

Loki looked at me suspiciously before holding a hand out to me. I would have preferred to walk, and almost told him so, but it was probably safer to teleport. So I took the god's hand, and allowed him to take me home.

i'll try to be updating every week but we'll see how it goes :)