Reality Stuff is Cool

Percy P.O.V

We searched everywhere for the backstabbing daughter of Athena and son of Zeus. We tried all of their favorite spots but couldn't get a single person to tell us if they've seen them. Aphrodite cabin was the least helpful. When I asked where Annabeth was, they all squealed and asked if I was asking her out on a date. Apparently we had become the favorite "ship" of Aphrodite cabin.

Piper hurriedly ushered me out and held me together while I cried for another minute.

We couldn't find them anywhere so we resolved to miss dinner and sit by the beach.

"Hey Pipes?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah Perce?"

"Do you... do you wanna go surfing?" I asked shakily.

"Get my mind off this tragedy of a day? You don't need to ask me twice," she answered, getting up and running towards her cabin.

I ran towards mine and we met up on the beach a few minutes later.

"Let's go," she sighed, swimming out towards where I was gradually making waves.

We spent 30 minutes out on the water and believe me when I said that I actually forgot anything was wrong for that short period of time. I thought that once we were done, I would just go to Athena cabin and say goodnight to Annabeth. The cruel reality of the world crashed down on my head with a wave I created, soaking Piper and I to the brim.

Despite our situation, we both laughed and started flinging water at each other.

"Come on you two! It's almost curfew!"

I looked to the beach and saw the two people that we had been looking for, yet dreaded to see. my frown instantly returned and tears formed in my eyes. Annabeth looked beautiful in the setting sun, light glinting off her hair and making her shine with an effortless glow that even Aphrodite cabin couldn't top. She was too perfect. Making me love her even when I was supposed to hate her for leaving me.

Then, I saw Jason. How could I have been so blind before. He was staring at her with a look I imagined that was mirroring my own. Undisguised love that shone only in his eyes, but that was the most prominent way to tell that he really loved her. That made me clench my fists. He didn't deserve Piper, or Annabeth for that matter.

Piper started swimming over and I gradually followed, trailing behind as not to get caught in the crossfire.

"Hey Pipes! You missed dinner," Jason said.

He actually thought he had a right to be worried about her.

"I did that for a reason Jason," Piper said coldly as I stood on the sand, not even approaching Annabeth as she looked at me with calculating eyes.

"What do you mean?" Jason asked.

The sun was behind the mountains now, blanketing everything in cold darkness. My mood seemed to be making the waves choppy, because the water was swirling angrily. Jason seemed to be uncomfortable because I felt a strong breeze pick up.

"I mean, I avoided dinner to avoid you. Now let's get this over with. I'm breaking up with you. You don't get to break up with me and say it wasn't working, because you did that on your own. I'm not the one that wants to stand heartbroken on the beach waiting for you to say the words that I'm dreading to hear. That's it, we're through. Got that in your small head of yours?" Piper said angrily.

In that moment I admired the daughter of Aphrodite, who was keeping her tears at bay and refusing to show weakness. I doubted I would be that strong when the time came to break up with Annabeth.