tournament

"𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶'𝗺 𝗶𝗻, 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲'𝘀 𝗻𝗼 𝗹𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗴𝗼"

──── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ────

goblet of fire // tournament

──── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ────

The feast is delicious. As soon as the final person being sorted sits down, the headmaster; Albus Dumbledore gives his welcoming speech, claps his hands, and delicious dishes immediately appear on the dishes in front of us. 

I fill my plate with food of all sorts, much like all the people around me. Potatoes, chicken, and my favourite; sushi. Just as I start tucking in, a transparent man zooms towards the four of us. I raise my eyebrows questionably.

"Harry. Harry- who's that?" I whisper, nudging Harry's arm. His plate is also filled with food. 

"Thats Nearly Headless Nick." He responds after a few seconds due his full mouth. "He's a ghost." I frown.

"Nearly Headless? How-" 

"Like this." Nearly Headless Nick says dully, cutting me off. He seizes his left ear and pulls. His head dangles to the side, a tiny bit of skin connecting it to his neck. My frown deepens as I look away, mildly disturbed. "I get that reaction a lot. By the way, you guys are lucky that theres still a feast tonight, there was a bit of a ruckus in the kitchens earlier."

"What 'appened?" Ron asks through a mouth full of chicken. I roll my eyes at his rudeness.

"Don't speak with your mouth full." I scold him. You can't blame me for having manners, I was raised by strict Japanese parents. Ron ignores this.

"Peeves, he wanted to attend the feast. We held a ghosts council, and Bloody Baren put his foot down, thank merlin." I frown. 

"Peeves, Bloody Baren, who're they?"

"Peeves is a poltergeist. Manager of mischief. Bloody Baren is the Slytherin ghost, and hes the only person in Hogwarts who has any control over peeves." Nick responds. I nod in understanding.

"Peeves got mad, y'know. Wrecked havoc everywhere. Sent pots and pans flying, kitchen swimming in soup, the house elves were terrifie-"

Clang, a goblet has been knocked over, spilling pumpkin juice over the white tablecloth. "House elves?" Hermione who has been silent the entire conversation exclaims, staring horror-struck at Nick. "Here? At Hogwarts?"

"Course." Nick says carelessly, looking mildly surprised at her reaction. "Over a hundred, actually."

"I've never seen one!"

"Well, they hardly leave the kitchen, don't they? They come out at night to do a bit of cleaning, to see the fires, and so on." 

"But they get paid, don't they? And holidays?" Hermione says, trailing off as she realises her 3 friends and the ghost staring at her in disbelief.

"Hermione. House elves- they like their job. They don't want holidays, or to get paid." I tell her. I know this because my family has a house elf called Hatty. She enjoyed her work.

Hermione looks down at her plate of food, putting her knife and fork down. She pushes the food away from herself, earning raised eyebrows from Harry, Ron, and I.

"Hermione- You aren't going to starve yourself, no? Just eat!" Harry says, trying to push the plate back towards her. She turns away from the food angrily.