Chapter 1

Hoshi was a quiet kid, usually keeping to himself, and drawing quietly in the corner of his room. The other boys at the orphanage never seemed to like him, and it was clear to see he never really fit in there.
     Though the staff didn't really care. The facility wasn't exactly 'up to code' one could say, and it was obvious to see.
     Hoshi never seemed to care either. He was content drawing portraits of the kids, and staff, and still lives of his surroundings in his ever expanding sketch book. He seemed relatively normal to the average on looker, at least he felt normal. He wasn't bullied, or treated badly by the other kids, and had repressed most of his memories before coming to the 'all boys' orphanage.
     There was only one real difference between him and the others but only he knew of it, and he wasn't going to share that secret any time soon.
     There was a knock on his bedroom door and he quickly got up and opened the door. Just outside the threshold of his room stood one of the staff members, Mrs.Crabgrass, a strict old bird who always seemed to be sour about something. Just behind her stood a taller man, he wore a dark green 3 piece suit, in a seaweed or juniper shade. He had dirty blonde hair that was shaved long on the sides, and loose and spiked up top. He had sage green eyes, and light beige skin. He had black gloves, and a brown leather briefcase.
     Hoshi was a bit surprised to see what looked like a high class gentleman in an orphanage such as this, though he shrugged the thought off
     "Hoshi, this is Mr.Loid Forger. He is looking to adopt a young man, who can read and write." Mrs.Crabgrass spoke, "he will be observing you for a bit."
     "Yes ma'am." Hoshi spoke softly, though he was soon met with a thwap to the head from the sour lady's wooden fan. A small whimper escaped his mouth as he brought his hands to his thumping head.
     "Speak up, we have a guest!" Mrs.Crabgrass scolded the young teen.
     "Yes Ma'am." Hoshi responded, louder this time.
     "Good, now behave." She snapped before leaving the two alone.
     "Are you ok?" The man asked. Hoshi nodded and let the man come into his small room.
     There wasn't much in there, just a small bed with thin covers and a shotty pillow, a small dresser with a week's worth of clothes, and pajamas, and a small desk with his art supplies placed neatly on it. The old blue wallpaper was peeling in the upper corners, and the dark wooden floors squeaked with every little movement that was made. The small light flickered a couple of times every so often, and the walls were thin.
     Loid looked around the room with a small scowl on his face as he faced away from Hoshi.
     "Sorry if it's messy. People don't usually come into my room." The brunette spoke, looking away from the stranger in his room.
     "I don't mind. So tell me about yourself." Loid asked.
     "Oh… um… I like to read, though I don't get to very often. I'm not allowed outside a lot…" Hoshi spoke. Loid noticed the nervousness and hesitancy in his speaking but put on a smile as he turned to face the boy.
     "Anything else?" He asked.
     "I like drawing…. It's fun…" Hoshi sputtered.
     "Oh really, could you show me some of your work?" Loid asked. Something sparked in the teen's eyes after the man's question and he quickly grabbed his sketchbook. His hands shook with anxiety and excitement as he handed the old book to the man.
Loid took a few minutes to skim through the teen's work, and Hoshi faced away hoping not to see his expressions.
     "These are very good, you must be proud of your work." Loid smiled, Hoshi could feel his heart skip a beat.
     "Thank… thank you sir… nobody has ever said that about my art before." Hoshi spoke as he took the book back. Loid smiled, and picked up his briefcase from the ground. He headed out of the room, leaving Hoshi to himself once more.
     He knew it was too good to be true, but a small part of him remained hopeful that he would be chosen.