Chapter 3

Hoshi was woken up by the door opening to the shared bedroom. The brunette sleepily opened his eyes and saw Loid already dressed in his suit in the doorway. Hoshi sluggishly got out from under his warm covers and reversed down the ladder of the bunk bed before going over to wake up his younger sister, Anya.
     "nooooooooooo~" was all that was heard from Anya as Hoshi gently shook her arm.
     "Anya, if you wake up and get out of bed we can have peanuts." Hoshi whispered into Anya's ear. The young girl had told him she loved peanuts last night as they were unpacking Hoshi's belongings.
     With the promise of the shelled treat Anya ripped off her covers and jumped down out of bed with her chimera plush in her arms.
     "Morning shi-shi, Morning Papa!" She chirped before racing out the door.
     "How did you?" Loid asked confused, whenever he had tried to wake her it took multiple minutes, and groaning complaints from the pink haired child.
     "Peanuts are an effective way to get her up. Though a small snack portion should tie her over for a bit." Hoshi answered as he followed the adult into the kitchen.
     Three plates sat at a small table, each with scrambled eggs, bacon, and a glass of milk. Hoshi's mouth watered at the sight and he quickly took a seat next to Anya, who was already stuffing her face.
     "Anya, slow down, or you'll choke on your food." Loid spoke as he took a seat at the table.
     "Thank you for breakfast father." Hoshi smiled before picking up an egg with his fork. The egg's taste spread in his mouth as he chewed and his eyes sparkled. 'So yummy!' Hoshi thought to himself. This was so much better than the food he was given at the orphanage. Bowls of soggy cereal had become the norm for him, but this was worlds better.
     "Can Anya have peanuts now?" Anya asked, as her plate was cleaned of any sign of food on it.
     "Yes, I suppose so." Loid spoke as he got out of his seat and grabbed a small bowl out of one of the cabinets. Hoshi could hear the soft sounds of peanuts hitting the bowl as they were poured in. The small bowl was set down on Anya's plate and she was quick to break the shells open to get to the goods.

     After breakfast Hoshi went to the bathroom to brush his teeth, with Anya trailing shortly behind him. Hoshi grabbed his blue toothbrush, and Anya's yellow one, before grabbing the tube of toothpaste from the medicine cabinet behind the mirror.
     The two siblings sat in a comfortable silence as they cleaned their teeth of germs. After less than a minute Anya rinsed her brush off with water after spitting out her tooth paste into the sink. Hoshi spit out the saliva and toothpaste mixture from his mouth and sighed.
     "Anya you need to brush your teeth for longer, you should be brushing your teeth for around 2 minutes." Hoshi explained.
     "But Anya wants to go watch Spy wars now." She huffed stubbornly.
     "Anya …. Your teeth could fall out of your mouth if you don't take better care of your teeth." Hoshi added on.
     "Anya doesn't care." His younger sister huffed again, crossing her arms and looking away, her nose turned.
     "Well Anya can't eat peanuts without her teeth, so it would be a shame if she didn't have any." Hoshi sighed, putting on a sadden voice to persuade the small child.
     Anya's eyes snapped open and grabbed her toothbrush and toothpaste and made sure to brush her teeth extra good. Her peanut snacking depended on it.
     Once both were done cleaning their teeth, the two siblings meandered back to their room to pick out clothes to wear for the day. Anya pulled a dress that looked almost exactly the same as the one she wore yesterday, while Hoshi gravitated toward a similar yet stylized choice.
     "I'm going to go get changed in the bathroom, once you're done getting clothes on you can go watch your show." Hoshi spoke as he held his outfit for the day against his chest. Anya nodded excitedly, Hoshi smiled before leaving the bedroom and returning back down the hall to the bathroom.
     Once finished getting dressed he looked at himself in the mirror. A spiffy black button up with a cobalt blue sweater laid on his top half. The sweater was embroidered with small little bees and flowers decorating the cuffs and across the bottom of the sweater. Black jeans rested comfortably on Hoshi's hips and legs, with white ankle socks keeping his feet warm. Hoshi folded his pajamas and left the bathroom to put his PJ's back in his bed.
     After putting his night wear on his bed, he left to the living room where Anya sat in front of the small box TV as the spy anime played out on screen. Loid was sitting on the sofa reading the newspaper, he looked up from time to time and rolled his eyes at the show before going back to his paper.
Hoshi took a seat on one of the chairs and brought his legs up onto the comfortable furniture.
     "Hoshi, I'm going out for a bit, care to join?" Loid asked, Hoshi looked over to his adopted father and thought about the question for a few seconds.
     The two could bond for a bit while they were out, which sounded nice. Hoshi wanted to get to know his new dad better. But what about his younger sister?
     "What about Anya?" Hoshi asked, wondering what their father was going to do about the ball of energy that was Anya.
     "She's stayed home by herself before, we won't be gone for long anyway." Loid answered as he folded his newspaper.
     "Oh… then yes, I would like to go father." Hoshi spoke after pondering the question for a tad longer.

     In town Hoshi stayed close to their father, not quite used to being out and about. They were only out in town on special occasions and those were few and far between.
Hoshi had been silently freaking out and over thinking everything as soon as he had stepped out of the apartment. He was nervous about making a fool of himself in public and possibly making Loid mad at him.
     He was now quietly looking at books at the local library as Loid was doing an 'adult only aren'. The teen suspected it had to do with alcohol or something, or a private shop that Hoshi was too young to go into.
     Hoshi grabbed a thick book with a gray green leather cover. He observed the book in his hands running his pointer finger over the gold lettering. 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelly, it sounded interesting. Hoshi took it over to the front desk to get it checked out, before going out to the front and sitting down on a bench and began his reading.
     After what felt like no time at all the familiar sound of Loid's footsteps grew closer. They were surprisingly soft for a man, but Hoshi shrugged the thought off. The brunette popped a bookmark into the book to preserve his spot, before getting up out of his seat and meeting the blond man halfway.
     "What did you get?" Loid asked as the two began their venture home.
     "Frankenstein." Hoshi responded with a simple one word.
     "Ah, a classic. Should take you a bit, but I hope you enjoy it." His father spoke.

     The walk was a bit longer than Hoshi remembered, but it was nice. All things considered, the walk just helped the teen grow more acquainted with the layout of his new town. And it was a nice afternoon, which added to the comfort of it.
     As the two walked up the stairs to their apartment, Hoshi was happily thinking of how the book might turn out. He was also excited to draw how he thought of some of the characters and scenery from the piece of literature.
     He was snapped out of his dreaming when Loid stopped in front of the door and placed the grocery bag down.
     "Wait out here." Loid spoke in a low and serious voice. His words sent shivers down Hoshi's spine and he quietly nodded and took a seat next to the grocery bag.
     Loid opened the door, and suddenly loud bangs, thumps, and yelling was heard from inside the room. He could hear Loid yelling out for Anya, before the door opened again and a strange man stepped out into the hallway. He looked a bit beat up but held a crowbar  in his hands. Hoshi felt his mouth run dry and his throat close up. He tried to scream, but only a faint squeak made it past his lips. The brunette trembled as he tried to scoot away. The stranger grabbed him and pressed a white cloth to his face. Hoshi kicked and struggled but soon felt his eyelids grow heavy and his limbs give out. His eyes fluttered close before the teen was out like a light.