Chapter 4

As Hoshi woke he felt a slight pain in his shoulder, and something keeping his mouth closed. His nose was met with the stench of sweat and cigarette smoke. A faint scent of alcohol lingered in the air as Hoshi tried to get up. The brunette opened his eyes and was met with a tall old rusty ceiling; flickering lights loomed above him, swinging slightly with the drafts of the building. Taking everything into account, the building was probably an old warehouse, most likely abandoned due to the state of it. He groaned finally realizing that he was binded with rope, and on the dirty ground. Covering his mouth was probably tape, how annoying truly.
     'definitely kidnapped' the teen thought to himself, thinking back to it, the cloth that was shoved against his face was probably chloroform. 
     Hoshi's attention was brought to his left as he heard a small whimper. He saw Anya bound and gagged in a shopping cart. Hoshi could feel his blood boiling at the sight, a child shouldn't have to go through this. He could also see his father tied as well with a bag over his head. He was struggling and wiggling around. Hoshi tried to talk to Anya, but his words were muffled and barely understandable due to the tape on his mouth.
     "Well, well, looks like your other brat is finally awake Twilight, so which one is gonna go first?" A man in a navy blue suit asked. He had blond hair and a beard, both looked spikey in a sense. He held a pistol with a silencer in his hands. Hoshi felt his throat close up at the sight of the weapon, and began trying to get to Anya.
     The man went over to their father and snatched the bag off his head. However, he was met with the face of one of his goons and not their parent. Suddenly a large cloud of smoke burst from a grenade and Hoshi and Anya were grabbed by the imposter. The man held them both in his arms, making sure neither fell as he ran. He carefully set Hoshi down and locked a large metal door behind them. Now that they were out of the smoke and chaos, Hoshi observed the man's appearance more. He really looked exactly like the goon that was swapped with Loid. Shaved black hair, a black square cut beard. The man quickly pulled out a knife from his leather jacket and sliced the binding ropes off of the two kids and then led them out of the wearhouse.
     "Give this paper to the police station down the street. They'll handle this." The man spoke, as he wrote down several things on a scrap piece of paper. Hoshi felt like he had heard the voice before, as it sounded very familiar. The mystery man handed the paper to Hoshi, who took it wordlessly. "Be safe kids." The man then said before turning back to go into the warehouse. Hoshi grabbed Anya's small hand and began to run to the police station. Though the brunette turned back to thank the man.
His eyes widened at what he saw, the man reached up to his face and pulled it off, revealing his true face under the mask.
     Loid.
     There was no mistaking his dirty blond hair. Hoshi felt his heart stop and confusion raced through his head.
     "Papa's a spy!" Anya cheered as she dragged her older brother over to a large green collom they could hide and weigh behind.
     "Does he know you know?" Hoshi asked softly as the two sat down by the collom.
     "No, Anya doesn't want him to get mad." The pink haired girl spoke as she played with a couple of rocks on the ground.
     "Then we don't tell him we know. I wouldn't want him to worry about us getting wrapped up in his work. Must be stressful enough as it is." Hoshi sighed as he pulled Anya into his lap and hugged her close.
     "Okie!" Anya smiled as she hugged onto Hoshi's arms.
     "Let's wait for him out here." The brunette spoke.

     Several minutes later Hoshi heard his father's soft footsteps and got up with a sleeping Anya in his arms. Loid looked surprised to see them when they walked out from behind the collom.
     "What are you two still- … I mean… what are you two doing out of the house?" Loid asked with nervousness hidden in his voice.
     "We were playing tag with some of the people in our neighborhood. Anya got tired so she fell asleep." Hoshi lied.
     "Oh, did you guys have fun?" Loid asked.
     "Not really, they cheated a couple of times and were jerks." The teen replied.
     "I see." Loid spoke. Hoshi went over and grabbed the adult's hand carefully, making sure not to let Anya slip from his grasp.
     "Can we go home dad? We miss you." Hoshi asked. Loid seemed taken aback, but smiled and held Hoshi's hand.
     "Yeah, we can go home now." He spoke.

     The small family moved out of their apartment, Loid used the excuse of "seeing a venomous snake", though Anya and Hoshi knew the real reason. Loid didn't want his family being kidnapped again.
     The new house was much bigger and modern. Anya had made the request to live in a castle, and this was closest to one that made her happy. Hoshi was just happy to have his own room. He loved Anya and everything, he just needed his own space.
His life had grown busier lately due to Loid wanting both his kids to go to a certain school. Eden Academy, a top private school, with one of the hardest entrance exams in the country. Hoshi was very excited, yet nervous about the whole ordeal. He wanted to get such a good education, though he had never taken a test so important as the entrance exam.
     Loid had gotten his hands on the answer key to both of their exams and was having the two memorize their respective tests.
Hoshi made himself flashcards that he practiced with, and then after the flash cards took a mock test.  And after several study sessions he felt really good about his approaching exam.
     Though Anya was struggling, she was always opposed to studying, and procrastinating when it came to it. Loid was getting upset with her delayed progress, so Hoshi decided to step in.
     "Anya, want to play a game?" Hoshi asked, this caught Anya's attention rather fast and her eyes sparkled. Loid looked at Hoshi confused, but sighed and took a seat back on the couch. The brunette smiled and brought out a stack of flashcards from behind his back.
     "Ok you ask me the question on this card and I answer. If I get it right, I get a point, and if I get it wrong you get a point." Hoshi explained.
     "Anya wanna win!" His little sister cheered, bouncing up and down on her feet.
After a few games were over Anya had ended up on a winning streak, though Hoshi let her win.
     "Ok Anya, your reward is a bowl of peanuts. And after you're done could you maybe take a mock test for Papa?" Hoshi asked.
     "Uh huh." Anya spoke, sounding a little sad but understood she had to. Hoshi smiled back and patted her head. The smiling teen took a seat next to Loid and watched as Anya did her test while eating her peanuts.
     "What was the game for?" Loid asked.
      "It was a bunch of flash cards with the questions and answers for the test. She unknowingly studied, and I'm so happy she had fun playing." Hoshi whispered to Loid. Hoshi received a pat on the head from his adoptive parent and smiled happily.

     A few days later the exam had rolled around and Hoshi was stuck in an exam hall taking the test while the others around him panicked. He made sure to take his time, and went back to check his answers.
     When he went out to meet Loid and Anya at the passing board he was happy to see he had, and so had Anya. Loid looked so happy as he brought his kids in for a hug. Though the poor man collapsed, all the preparation must have exhausted him.
     Back home Loid was taking a much needed nap, while Anya watched Spy Wars and Hoshi was reading his latest book, Frankenstein.
     The door bell rang and Anya was quick to her feet to go get it. She came back in with a letter, and tried to wake Loid by slapping him in the face with the paper. Hoshi chuckled to himself at the sight before going back to his book.
     "ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME!" Loid suddenly yelled as he snapped awake. The sudden yell startled both kids before they went back to their activities.
     "Oh dear." Loid grumbled. Hoshi turned his attention to his father with a wandering gaze.
     "Are you ok pops?" He asked casually.
     "No, the next stage of the applicant acceptance is a parent teacher conference. Both parents have to be present, no exceptions.
     "But there is no Mama." Anya gasped.
     "How are we going to find a mom in 2 weeks?" Hoshi asked concerned. Loid leaned back into the couch and sighed as he brought his head to his temples.
     "I don't know." Loid grumbled.

     Later that night Hoshi walked into the kitchen just as Loid was starting on dinner.
     "D-.. Dad?" Hoshi spoke up, Loid looked over to his son a little surprised by the sudden change in title. "Am I allowed to call you that?" Hoshi asked.
     "Yes, that's fine. Did you need something else?" Loid asked as he tied his green apron on.
     "I was wondering if… if I could cook with you… you're really good at it, and I want to learn. So could you please teach me tonight for dinner?" Hoshi asked, a bit embarrassed. Loid smiled at Hoshi before patting his son's head and smiled.
     "Let me get my spare apron." Loid answered. Hoshi smiled brightly as his eyes sparkled with excitement. He couldn't wait to spend more time with his dad.