Chapter 6

Hoshi was woken up by knocking on his door. He quickly pulled up his covers up to his neck before the door could open. Loid came into the room, bringing the smell of breakfast with him.
     "Morning Hoshi, breakfast is ready." His father smiled.
     "I'll be down in a moment." Hoshi quickly answered. Loid looked a bit confused but shrugged it off before shutting the door. Hoshi breathed a sigh of relief before bringing the covers down.
     "That was a little too close for comfort." Hoshi muttered to himself.
     When Hoshi walked into the kitchen his eyes sparkled at the sight of French toast. His favorite breakfast dish. He was quick to his seat and to his fork.
     "Thank you for breakfast dad!" Hoshi chirped before digging into his meal.
     "No problem, I remember how much you liked them the last time I made them." Loid smiled. Yor was next to the table, her hair down for a change. It was so long and beautiful, longer than Hoshi had perceived it to be. He wondered how she maintained that much hair. Long hair was unbearable to deal with from what he remembered.
     Anya was last to the table, as Loid had to wake her up. She was clinging onto his leg like a koala, leaving the poor man to walk awkwardly into the kitchen. By then Hoshi had already finished inhaling his breakfast, and was putting his dishes into the sink.
     "You sure finished fast." Yor chuckled.
     "I couldn't help myself, it was so yummy!" Hoshi smiled.
     "You should finish getting ready, and remember to bring your sketchbook, just in case" Loid instructed his oldest as he gave Anya her breakfast. Hoshi nodded before heading off to the bathroom to brush his teeth.
     Hoshi stared at himself in his bedroom mirror, he was dressed in more formal wear for the interview. A cotton white button up, with a black suit vest, and a matching navy blue suit coat and pants. His shoes were shiny and black. He had his brown leather satchel sitting next to him on the floor as he examined himself in the mirror. In his bag was his copy of Frankenstein, and his sketchbook with a few drawing utensils.
     He had tried to brush down his hair, in hopes of it not being as fluffy, but it was all for not. Hoshi grabbed his coat and put it in before heading out to the living room, bag in hand.
     The nervousness had hit Hoshi like a truck once he entered campus with his family. This school was very fancy, fancy and big, fancy big and probably expensive as ….
     The brunette grabbed onto the strap of his satchel as he was taking deep breaths. He could feel so many eyes piercing through him, like needles stabbing into fabric. But this wasn't an acupuncture school, so why was everyone's glare so sharp?
     "Be on your guard everyone, it would seem the exam has already begun." Loid whispered to his family, before the four followed his lead and achnoladed the large statue in the pathway. If Hoshi remembered correctly, he was the late headmaster or something like that. But for all he cared he was just a statue of an old bald guy.
     As the family continued to walk they heard a shout of distress. Hoshi looked over to see a young boy stuck in the sewer grate. Hoshi quickly walked over to him and gently picked up the boy and set him on the ground. He was careful to not get the gross sludge on himself.
     Hoshi took off his jacket and placed it around the drenched child, "here, this should keep you warm until you can change clothes." He spoke sweetly before heading back to his family.
     A bit later on the walk the ground began to shake, Hoshi looked back in time to see a crowd of screaming people running towards him; a stampede of animals chasing them.
     "Oh shi-" Hoshi muttered before He was hoisted up into his father's arms. Loid caried Hoshi around the teen's waist, holding his son protectively against him.
     Hoshi watched as the leader of the stampede, a large and rather intimidating looking cow, charged towards him and his family. Yor took Anya and handed her to Loid, who was still carrying Hoshi.
     "Yor?" Loid asked, confused.
     "Mom?" Hoshi reached out for the black haired woman. Yor turned and smiled, before jumping into action and temporarily paralyzing the aggressive cattle leader.
     "Wow, that was so cool!" Hoshi cheered, not realizing his father's grip around his waist was tightening.
     "Oh, um, it was just some pressure point stuff I learned from a yoga class." Yor bashfully explained.
    'That's probably not true…' Hoshi thought to himself, as Anya wiggled out of her father's grasp.
     "Anya, that's a dangerous animal, stay away from it!" Loid ordered, as Anya was comforting the stunned cow.
      When the animals had moved out on their own the family calmed down before they decided to keep on going.
     "HOLD IT RIGHT THERE FORGERS!" A very regal and elegant voice proclaimed. Hoshi looked to see an older gentleman rush over to them from a stone staircase they had just noticed.
     He was a tall man, who was quite thin as well. His hair was greyed, and his stash was rather impressive as far as facial hair went.
     'He looks like the type of person who would get into an argument with someone over what kind of tea is best.' Hoshi thought to himself, as he hid behind his father.
     Hoshi blocked out most of the adult's conversation, so much had happened all too fast for him. He really just wanted to go home at this point.
     And soon at long last the family sat in the waiting hall, sitting just outside the interview room. A family had just walked out, with the father harating his son and wife, who were both crying. Hoshi had felt his heart crumble a bit at the sight. He had really wanted to comfort the two but was afraid of 'sticking his nose where it didn't belong' as he had heard so many times before.
     Soon their last name was called, and the family of four walked into the den of the lion.
     Hoshi sat with Anya on a plush red chair, the headmasters on their left and their parts on the right. Hoshi was so nervous, going as far as to sit on his hands to stop them from shaking.
     'Remember your training Hoshi, you're a confident upper class teen!' Hoshi repeated in his head over and over again as he put on a calm yet serious face.
     "So what kind of meals do you cook for your children, Mrs.Forger?" One of the men asked. Yor looked embarrassed, as she tried to find an answer.
     "I actually do most of the cooking, and Hoshi joins me in the kitchen sometime to broaden his knowledge." Loid quickly answered.
     "A woman who doesn't cook? Where has the world gone?" The middle headmaster spoke in a sour and rude tone.
     'It's not a woman's job to cook, and Mom is the best mom ever, she cares and loves us very much!' Hoshi snapped in his mind.
     "It's quite smart to learn how to cook from your father, young man, more career paths open up when you have a broad selection of skills." The third man complemented Hoshi.
     "Thank you sir." Hoshi smiled, bowing his head a little to the man, though it took so much effort to keep the venom towards the other out of his words.
      The conversation continued between the adults, Hoshi finding it boring yet stressful as he listened.
     "So how would you describe Hoshi Mr & Mrs Forger?" One of the old men asked.
     "Hoshi is a very caring and gentle older sibling. He sets a very good example for Anya, and is very helpful around the house." Yor answered with a smile. Hoshi blushed at the kind answer, feeling his heart grow warm.
      "My son is very creative, having a sketch book he carries on our trips out, and a very mature mindset for a teenager his age. I would say his main weakness is his reading problem." Loid answered.
     "What do you mean by problem, his record has nothing about a learning disability?" One of the headmasters questioned.
      "Well when he finds a book he likes, he has a problem with putting it down once in a while. He seems to emers himself into the story while he reads." Loid chuckled.
      "Ah, I see, I know the feeling of getting too much into a book." The third old man chuckled with the younger gentleman.
      More and more of the conversation has turned today Anya and her older brother, and Hoshi could feel himself getting more fidgety by the minute.
     "What would you rather your parents do with a score of one hundred?" The first headmaster asked Anya and Hoshi.
      "A one hundred sir, they both take so much time out of their day to spend time with Anya and myself. They are the best parents I could ever ask for." Hoshi spoke with a bright smile, his serious face melting away when speaking about his guardians.
     "And you Anya?"
     "A perfect one hundred too! Mama and Papa are wonderful, I wanna be with them forever." Anya said, Hoshi could tell her words were coming straight from his younger sister's heart.
     "Well, Mrs.Forger is your second mother, so who do you like more, her or your old mother." The rude old man spoke. Hoshi felt something pierce his heart at the words that spilled from the old bastard's mouth.