Chapter 10: Mind Control is A Curse

In Capricorn's Point of View

Mind control. Mind reading. It's all a curse. Jade was my witness. He was there when Master told me that I was the darkest of the zodiac.

"Master... shouldn't it have been Scorpio? The darkest of the zodiac, I mean."

"I thought so as well. But I wasn't the one to decide. I will guide you in your whole journey, even try to weaken your power so that losing control wouldn't become a problem for you. We'll make a special mix that will do the trick. If you want to, that is."

But I made a mistake. I spilled water on Master's calculations and messed up the instructions. The mix that was supposed to lessen the darkness made it even stronger. I became cold-hearted as I am today: inconsiderate, selfish, and distant. That night, I gained the curse of mind manipulating. I was so frustrated; I accidentally started a fire from the potions.

The volcanoes all erupted, and all the Fire Signs' hometowns were destroyed.

"Master, I... I'm sorry..."

"You brought yourself up to apologize even when you're under the potion's spell? I am proud of you Capricorn, but now you must find a way to break the curse. I will try my best to find the anecdote for your curse. But for now, you must focus on trying to be less distant."

Time passed, and I only became more distant, but I couldn't help it. It was all effects of the curse. My parents tried to find the cure as well, but it ended in vain and the loss of their own lives. It was still my fault, and I lived to regret it.

~~~

I stared at Scorpio in confusion, wondering what he meant. His hair had turned from black to dark blue, his signature color. I grinned. He usually showed no emotion, but his hair showed otherwise. I saw that his face had gone red, something I don't really expect to see in him.

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked him again.

"How do you... show a girl you like her...?" Scorpio asked, turning away to hide his embarrassment. Well, well. It looks like he has a little crush. But... what would Master say if she knew of this?

The Western Zodiac are not allowed to fall in love, even though it's one of our destinies. It was weird, but somehow, we had to fight the little emotion that sprouts out from the very beginning of meeting the one you loved. Even if we didn't want to.

I had to remind Scorpio of Master's rule, but I decided to let it slide just this once.

"Crushes were never really my thing," I said. "But I'll help you. We're going to the museum today, but weren't you planning on a swim?" I asked.

"Yeah, why- Oh, no! No, no. Sorry, Cap, your bright ideas aren't going to work on me. I will not invite Taurus to swim."

I sighed, but it was no use fighting with stubborn Scorpio. "If you say so, then. I guess we should start finding the museum."

~~~

"C'est La Rue de la Misere! I don't believe it!" Leo exclaimed dramatically, putting the back of her hand against her forehead, to give emphasis on her drama.

I could tell that Libra was looking at me uneasily. I couldn't help but feel bad. I did reject her, but I don't know how to apologize.

Aries clenched his fists, "This is not the time for Spanish, Leo!"

"Eh? That was French," I corrected, Aries glared at me and retorted, "Whatever. Speak in English. English!" he groaned.

"Anglaise?" Leo asked, "Ah, oui! This is the Street of Misery."

"Is 'misery' another French word?" Pisces asked.

"No, Pisces, that's English. It's feeling of discomfort, like a fancy word for sadness, I'd say," I explained, stressing the words to make sure she understood.

"Well? What does that mean then?" Aries asked.

"I don't know either, but I think anyone who steps onto the street will be in a state of sadness," I guessed.

"No, that's not it. We'll be forced to explain something that's troubling us," Virgo sighed. "And I do not want any of you to know my secrets."

"Me neither," Cancer muttered quietly.

"Moi aussi!" Leo exclaimed, "But what can we do? La Musée Dissimulé is on the other side of the street!"

"La Musée Dissimulé? Now, what does that mean?" Aries demanded, not getting the pronunciation right.

"The Concealed Museum," Leo replied, clearly annoyed with having to translate for us every time she spoke French. "You people really have to learn another language. Wasn't that required back up there?"

"Yes but no one else took French classes." I recalled. "Unless it came with the knowledge Master blessed us with when we were born, which only happened to you with the language of France."

"Comportement épouvantable!"

"Whatever," Aries repeated, "I'll go to another museum with my item. The faster I get it, the faster I get back to the sky and away from you people."

"Are you forgetting that none of us can go back to the sky unless we have all 12 items?" Virgo asked, "Let me remind you that selfishness is never a good trait. What would the Chinese Zodiac think about your behavior, huh?"

Aries huffed and frowned. There goes another annoyed zodiac. I tried to comfort him by putting a hand on his shoulder, but that would just make him think I pitied him. I sighed and put my hand down awkwardly.

"Well, I'll just go first. It's my item that's in there anyway," Pisces said.

"I'll go with you," Cancer offered.

"Okay, but just me, you, and... Libra! It'll be easier to sneak in with just the three of us. We'll be in and out of there in 5."

"How will we find it, though?" Cancer asked, "It's not like something concealed will reveal itself to you."

"We have powers, need I remind you?" Pisces laughed and started running across the street, forgetting the umbrella.

Cancer went after her and Libra followed. It was dark, and it was raining. With no umbrella, Libra's hood was soaked under the rain, and I had second thoughts about going after her.