Chapter 28: The Moonless Day

In Cancer's Point of View

There were times I just plain disliked being emphatic. I was awake the whole night, feeling big waves coming from Gemini, which was clashing with Aries' positive waves. Pisces told me she'd sleepover in my room, since she couldn't sleep either. Luckily, she was nice company, but often zoned out.

We bought marshmallows from a just opened convenience store, or at least, convenience store was what they liked to call it. It wasn't convenient. I was going to buy this bottle of juice, but there was a glass wall separating me from it. I couldn't open it up, so we only took the stuff from the shelves.

Once we got out of the store and on our way back home, Pisces started opening her bag and finding the strawberry gummies.

"Um... is it in your bag?"

I rumaged through mine. "Nope. Let's check back inside."

We turned the other direction and went on our way, but the convenience store lady had conveniently disappeared, and the lights had closed.

"I'd rather we just go back home..." Pisces shivered. A cold breeze ran by. She looked around and paced herself in front of me, "Who's there?"

"Don't worry, we'll just go back home. Nevermind it, okay?" I asked of her. She nodded and wrapped her arm tighter around mind. "For uh, just for extra protection."

Protection? From me? I could help but scoff. But, it made me feel glad. "You can have my milk chocolate bars if you want."

Pisces grinned, but shook her head. "No, that's yours. Besides, I didn't earn much today. You deserve that."

"If you're sure. But I always have it if you change your mind-"

A fog surrounded me, and I couldn't see where Pisces was. I reached out, and I felt a hand grab mine. I hoped it was Pisces, and I braved the mist to get home.

"We need to find the other items. We've been resting too long. That next item has to be somewhere around this country, whichever country we're on," I said, acting on instinct from what happened last night.

Scorpio looked at me. I understood he didn't sleep well either. Gemini was looking pretty bad, her arms wrapped around her knees and her head buried in her arms. It seemed she just wouldn't be able to go work today. Aries, on the other hand, looked pumped up and ready to go, if I do say so myself.

And Pisces wasn't here.

"I'll ask Mary Claire when we get to the--"

"No!" My outburst was... a little sudden. Virgo almost jumped out of her seat.

"Uh... sorry. I don't think Mary Claire will be tending to the cafe today. I mean, Pisces and I passed her house last night and she saw us. She told us to tell you she was sick."

"Oh. Well, that's fine. We can just ask around. I think I walked by a newly opened convenience sto-"

"Not that!" Okay, I should stop. Virgo looked spooked to death. Aries was of course enjoying this, and this won't end well if I continue. "I really have to stop. Sorry..."

"Everyone makes mistakes," Gemini sobbed. I didn't know what to do, our group had turned into a mess!

Leo looked at Aquarius. "I think we only have to find Libra's item for the Air Signs, right? Then, we deliver it to Master?"

Aquarius stiffened.

"What is it?" Sagittarius demanded. "Stop leaving us in the dark."

"For goodness' sake, Sagittarius," Gemini sighed. Leo glared at everyone in the room. "To Master, right? Directly to her? Because if I would conclude the past events, we have made quite a... distruption among ourselves and others. And conversing her would be out of the question, since we can't reach her. Answering her message, Aquarius."

"What message? Is there something you aren't telling us, Aquarius?" Capricorn asked.

"And you say I don't cooperate," Aries chimed in.

"Just because you're in a good mood doesn't mean you can just trample on everyone," Virgo frowned.

This was getting out of hand. Everyone was speaking at once. Gemini deciding she needed space and going up to her room, Taurus and Scorpio having the best out-of-conversation conversation, Leo was staring madly at Aquarius, Capricorn was practically begging them to spill, Sagittarius and Aries have gone reckless and started playing with the table cover, and Virgo and Libra were sitting there confused.

I stood up, and tried to take matters into my own hands.

Last night wasn't anything out of the ordinary. The fog had surrounded me, yes. I actually felt the prescence of a hand, yes. And I lost Pisces, also yes, very completely yes.

But you're worst enemies come in the most innocent of forms, right? Sometimes, I start doubting Alice Preya and figured she was behind all this. The fact though that we still aren't able to find Libra's item was... I didn't want to picture the conversation in my head so I'll stop myself right now.

Anyway, I'll go find Pisces. I think I know where she might be.

I walked towards a convenience store and decided to stop by there. She might still be trying to buy those strawberry gummies.

"Hello?" I called out, opening the door and the bells jingling greeted me. The lights weren't open, but you can tell the door was unlocked. I saw a bag of strawberry gummies left on the counter, which means no one had been here since this morning. Or maybe it just hasn't opened yet and the lady didn't lock the door.

More importantly, though, Pisces wasn't here. I decided to check in the cafe the others worked in.

The door was locked this time, but the lights were open even when it was day.

"Fourth of the twelve," I heard someone whisper, and the same cold hand dragged me somewhere I couldn't see. The fog surrounded us again, and I was starting to wish we'd found Libra's item already. I was trying to recognize energy waves coming from this person. After all, we can sense what others feel, but we can warp it to our desired as well. It seemed like a weird power, but I haven't used it yet so I'm not sure.

"Who are you?" I asked. I knew we'd reached the sky, and now, we were going to Earth's natural satellite, judging from the pacing.

"The closest person to the twelfth, dear Sir. But needless to say, our queen has grown quite smitten to you."

Her voice sounded a lot like Alice Preya, and I was feeling a jealousy wave coming from her. "Is that you, Alice?"

"Yes, dear Sir. Don't ask other questions, please. Or my form will be revealed."

Dear, Sir?

I took it the more she spoke, the more she'll look like how she really looks like. I mean, she talked a lot when she was a news reporter, but maybe she's grown weaker? Besides, sometimes that happens to Sun as well. When he speaks, he grows brighter, and almost merges with his projection. That's forbidden.

"You know perfectly well it's New Moon today. My projection is only about to- Ah, Cancer, you came." a voice said. The fog dissipated.

"Hi, Moon. It's nice to see you again," I told her. I recognized the voice immediately, of course, since she was my ruling celestial body.

"Please, none of that. I'm going to have to fall asleep again today since it's supposed to be New Moon. So-"

"Wait. Tell me this first- Where's Pisces?" I asked. "Did you separate us?"

"No, Cancer. I simply told her you aren't hers and she isn't yours, and that your Master was wrong."

My nearly red face turned pale. "I don't understand. We aren't each other's, and none of us think that way. You have no reason to-"

"Yes, yes, I do."

And it dawned on me I'd be staying in the sky for quite some time.