Chapter 7

One thing was certain, the I-Rex may have Raptor DNA in her but she can never outrun a real raptor due to her size. She was fast but the raptors were faster.

Trembling, Claire pressed on the accelerator as Owen and his raptors ran beside her. The roars of the I-Rex seem to be getting closer and closer. Claire shook her head and glanced at Owen's rifle that was jolting from the bumpy ride.

Finally, Claire could hear the roars of the I-Rex growing fainter and fainter, she relaxed for a bit on the accelerator but Owen roared at her and snapped his jaws close to the side mirror. Claire just stepped on the accelerator, it wasn’t until Owen started barking and chirping at her did she slow down.

She made a full stop and just breathed. The five raptors behind her had their sides heaving, “That was fun!” Echo suddenly barked, her tail wagging in a lazy manner that hid her excitement. “It was dangerous” Delta chastised “...But thrilling” She finally added. Blue felt her blood thrum, it was the first time they attacked a predator and it was bigger than they were. 

“I still want to fight…” Echo added “Let’s not do that again girls, at least not without a plan” Owen finally answered “Anyways, are you girls alright?” The fight felt like a blur, Owen barely had time to register to see if his girls were alright. The only thought that was processing right through his mind was -

Danger. Attack. Protect.

He’s been a raptor too long, he doesn’t make reckless actions like this. "Pack is fine, Alpha" Blue said. Her mind went back to when the Great Killer made a move to swipe at them. She was closest to the claw's impact and knew she couldn't dodge it quick enough thus braced herself for a painful impact.

She did not expect for Alpha's sudden attack. He had roared and pounced on the claw that was about to send her flying and bit down hard. The Great Killer reared back in surprise and roared in anger. When she saw the other claw raised against Alpha, white hot anger and fierce protectiveness emerged as she jumped and bit at the other arm.

The rest of the pack moved in unison after that. Charlie raced to the back and clambered up to her tail where her dew claws made minimal damage across the Great Killer's back.

Delta and Echo aimed at the Great Killer's face and sides respectively. Echo more or less had made a beautiful bloody painting of the I-Rex's face. Blue had to remind her sister not to get too overboard otherwise Echo's aggressiveness might backfire on her.

Recalling the protective roar and her Alpha's attack at the Great Killer made Blue's inside thrum in a different way. That moment was probably the second time she felt Great adoration and love towards the Alpha that raised her since her hatching day.

Blue placed her snout close to Owen who only took a step back in surprise "Alpha was deadly…" Owen stared at her. He knew what she said but somehow it felt different. They both stared at each other, the other raptors looking at both of them in confusion before realization sets in and they slowly started moving away while chittering at each other silently.

"What are those two doing?" Charlie asked. Somehow she was curious as to why Alpha and her sister were staring at each other like that. Delta had no idea how to answer but Echo...

"They want to mate with each other." Blunt and straight to the point. Blue heard that and hissed at Echo "Watch it Echo or I'll make a matching scar on the other side."

Echo didn't say anything more but she still gave Blue a smug look as if to dare the Beta she was wrong. Before anything could take place, it was broken when Claire made a clattering noise from the jeep as she searched for her phone. 

Blue glared at her before feeling like a hatchling for that. Now was not the time to waste anymore time, not with the Great Killer out there.

***

Claire managed to fish out her phone and contacted Control. It didn't even ring twice before there was an answer "Lowrey! We found her. South of Gyrosphere Valley, between the old park and the Aviary" 

In the Control Tower, the first thing Lowrey was expecting from Claire was an update on any news of her nephews. He was not expecting a call for the location of the Indominus Rex from Claire of all people.

"Wait you're following a dinosaur?" He asked in disbelief, secretly hoping he had heard wrong. Unfortunately, Claire replied with a "Yes, get the ACU here ⁹with real guns this time" OK. Lowrey wondered if everyone here had gone crazy. One, the head of security barged into control and started racing about using raptors to kill the target. Then there was Mr. Masrani's idea of flying a helicopter to where the escaped asset was to detain her.

Now Claire's following the asset with the danger of being eaten alive.

"ACU is airborne" Lowrey said "They took the helicopter"

***

"What?! Who's flying it?" Claire feared to ask and hear the answer but she had to know for sure. "Masrani is" And Claire just felt her world was sinking. Masrani is what Claire could describe as an eccentric man with many ideas and did many things to bring life in Jurassic World but a helicopter pilot was not one of his strong points.

"Who authorized that?!"

"He did. He can kinda do anything he wants"

Claire wants to tear her hair out in frustration before she turns to Owen who looks at her inquisitively. "We need to get back to the Visitor's Center, my nephews must be there already" Owen nodded before barking at the raptors and they were off again with Claire a few paces behind them since she had to start the engine again.

The sounds of a helicopter stopped them when Charlie barked curiously above at the helicopter flying overhead. Claire had a stunned expression on her face before it slowly turned into horror when the helicopter was suddenly attacked by pteranodons and dimorphodons and it disappeared from her sight, smoking and clearly falling down.

She tried not to think about the unmistakable sound of an explosion as she wheeled the jeep to the direction of the park. Owen glanced back to see black smoke and the pteranodons and dimorphodons flying straight at them. Seeing the approaching dinosaurs towards them, Owen barked at Claire as she quickly accelerated the jeep just as she heard the cry of a dimorphodon.

But unfortunately, their goal wasn't them but rather...they were more interested on the Visitor's Center where thousands of people were crowded in.

Which made Claire step on the accelerator. She needed to get there, her nephews might be in danger again.

A ring made Claire put the phone on speaker as she drove straight back to the park "Hello?" Zia's voice cut through the background noise of the people "Claire, we spotted the boys on surveillance. They're approaching the west gate I'm heading there now" Zia said to which brought some relief to Claire as she breathed deeply.

"OK, OK. Stay right there, I'm on my way. Stay right there" She emphasized before ending the call and stepped on the gas.

The raptors went on full sprint as they ran through the forest. Owen very much tried his best to keep up with his girls following him in formation.

Both Owen and Claire hoped they would make it in time as the sound of the park's alarm went off.