Chapter 6

Pushing through the throng of putrid, sweaty bodies, I made my way through the concentric lanes of the market. The market is shaped like concentric circles. The outermost circle is the hideout for petty thieves and criminals. But, the deeper you go the worse the felons grow, and right at the center, the worst breed of criminals hide.  

I was just entering the epicenter when a group of magus ventores or mage hunters blocked my path. The one who seemed to be the leader had the name 'Insivius' tattooed across his neck.

"Look what we have here boys, fresh meat", Insivius said in an unknown accent as his lackeys laughed.

"Well fresh meat, why don't you give us that pretty little Deathstorm staff you got there."

"Aint going to happen asshole", I replied, irritated.

That statement did not seem to make them happy. They pulled out an adamantine sword. Adamantine is the only metal available to mortals that can deflect magic.

Panic started to set in, and I could hear my heart in my throat. Breadth started coming in short and fast. But in midst of all that fear, the voice of my father interrupted me.

"Adamantine may be able to deflect magic, but what about spells that affect the environment, and not the attacker"

That one teaching of my father is a lifesaver. I had once read about this spell, an extremely dangerous one, but powerful as hell. It is supposed to open a crack in the ground and swallow the enemy. I would not have used this spell, but in this case, I was facing about 10-15 powerful as heck mage-hunters.

I closed my eyes. I felt the wind against my face, the ground beneath my feet. I felt my magic flow through every cell of my body, and I focused all my emotions on this one strike. This one chance to end this fight, cause after this, I will be too weak to fight, too weak to even chant a light spell. I pushed those thoughts away and focused on what I came here to do. Find Mag. With my mind ready, I chanted.

"Scinditur terra, scindet sicut porta inferorum"

For a second nothing happened and I was scared out of my skin, but all of sudden a monstrous rumble shook the earth, and a humungous crack opened and started to move towards them. The terror on their faces was quite funny. But then out of the blue, black spots started to dance across my eyes, and as I passed out, the last thing I heard was their yells of fear.

These are the magus ventores