Chapter 3

I waved goodbye to Eloise as she walked back towards the house. I decided to pick some of the wild flowers for my room and to continue enjoying the country air. Birds sang from almost every tree. I gathered some daffodils into a bouquet before turning towards some tulips.

"Amelia," a voice whispered from behind a tree.

Shocked, I turned around frantically. I swear I looked like a scared rabbit.

"Amelia, come over here please," it called again.

"No! Until I know who's talking to me and knows my name, I'm not moving a muscle."

Anthony popped his head out from behind the tree and bushes.

"Why are you hiding?! You almost gave me a heart attack!" I shouted.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to speak to you privately, and I wasn't sure if Eloise was still here."

"She's not. She went back a few minutes ago. What do you need to speak of that couldn't wait until I was at least back at the house?" I replied harsher than I intended.

He came out now from behind the tree and walked towards me. "I just..." he stared at me, "I hope being here won't make you feel uncomfortable. You know given the past."

"Anthony, it's just as you said, 'the past'. I don't feel that way anymore and I'm sure you don't either. You have Miss Sharma now, who's great for you. She's pretty and kind and charming. And I'm here to look for a suitor as well. I hope we can still be friends moving forward."

"Of course. Of course we can. I just thought... I'm sorry I guess I was wrong," he shrugged his shoulders seeming defeated, that was unlike him. "Forgive me." That was more unlike him.

"There's no need to apologize. I actually wonder the same thing briefly, but it's clear you're content now. I just want to be friends with you." We smiled to ourselves. It felt good to clear the air after all this time.

We then began walking back to the estate. Before reaching the door, he knelt down and picked a couple more tulips. "Here," he said as he handed me one, "for your bouquet. The rest are for Miss Edwina. I'll see you tomorrow for the ball and picnic." We both nodded and departed.

the next day

Today was the day of the hall and there was picnic beforehand. I got dressed up in a pale pink gown and had my hair half up with the front bits French braided and pulled back into a loose bun while the rest of my hair was curled. I wore a pearl necklace my mama gave me before I left.

Today is my first day to make an impression on anyone interested in me. Most women my age would already be married, which does make me a little bit nervous, but for the most part I'm excited. I've always wanted to be married and have a family. It's just with my family's circumstance, I was needed more at home and they never pushed me out. I enjoyed my time to myself, learning more, doing more.

After finishing up, I made my way down the stairs to see Daphne and Violet finishing some preparations. "My dear you look beautiful!" announced Violet.

"Absolutely breathtaking!" Daphne chimed in.

"Are you sure it's not too much? I want to make a good first impression, especially after arriving so late into this season," I questioned.

"Nonsense, you look wonderful. I'm sure you'll have no trouble catching the eyes of some lucky suitors," assured Violet. I smiled at them and joined the rest of the family outside. I was looking for Eloise before Edwina and Kate saw me.

"Amelia, come sit with us," Edwina called. I sat down with her, Kate and Anthony. "I was just suggesting to Anthony that Kate should join in on the hunt. What do you think?" I looked at Kate then Anthony, neither of them looked too thrilled about the idea.

"It sounds like a nice idea, but I was kind of hoping to get to know you and Kate before you leave tomorrow. Maybe playing some cards?" I tried to help them both out although Edwina seems insistent.

"Yes!" Kate shouted, "That sounds like a wonderful idea." Kate stood up, grabbing my hand and pulling me up too. We started walking hastily to the tent where Daphne and Lady Danbury were sat. Edwina soon followed. We spent a good portion of the afternoon sitting, playing, and chatting.

Around 4 I left to freshen up before the ball in a couple hours. As I was leaving my room to find Eloise downstairs, I ran into Anthony and Benedict.

"Did you all have a nice time?" I asked. All Anthony did was nod and excuse himself, leaving me with Benedict. "I'll take that as a sort of." We both laughed.

"He did. He's still mad that I laughed at him when he tripped on a root all because I was teasing him," he laughed. "He'll get over it. How have you been? We haven't gotten to see each other hardly at all."

"I know! I'm doing well. It's been a lovely day today. I got to make some new friends which is always nice. I'm excited for the ball later."

"I can tell! I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. You look rather magnificent today," he charmed.

"Thank you, Benedict. I look forward to seeing you later tonight."

I go find El in the sitting room. She's with her friend Penelope as usual. I've always liked Penelope growing up, but those sisters of hers leave something to be desired. However, one of them has already married off so to each their own. I listen to their conversation, once again about Whistledown even though Pen isn't as interested. Benedict come inside as well and sits across the room. Every once in a while I see him look up from his book he's writing in and look at me, but I continue listening to El and Pen.

"Eloise! You're supposed to be getting ready for the ball. We'll be hosting any minute now," Violet scolded.

"Oh mama, I look fine as it is plus it's not like I'll be doing much of anything tonight."

Violet furrowed her brows, "Go get changed and be down with haste."

The hall began and I walked in with Violet and Eloise. "Oh look Eloise here comes Lord-"

"Come Amelia, let's go find Penelope!" she said cutting off her mother. She grabbed my arm and pulled me away. We stood talking with Pen when Violet came walking towards us with a gentleman.

"Eloise, this is Lord Morrison," she ushered them away to the dance floor.

Penelope glanced over to me, "Do you wish to be married, Amelia? Or are you more like El?"

I chuckled, "No, I do want to marry. I like my freeness as much as El, but sometimes you reach a point in life where you look around at every your age with a husband and children and you can't help but want that too. Do you?"

She stared across the ballroom, clearly admiring Colin, "Yeah, I would like that as well." She excused herself leaving me to stand alone.

I moved around the room, greeting people and watching others dance. I caught Anthony's sight while he danced with Edwina. They appeared happy together. While I was watching others, Benedict had noticed me and came over.

"A pretty lady such as yourself shouldn't be standing as a wallflower," he quipped.

"I am simply admiring others and waiting to be asked."

"You mean to tell me that no one has asked you for a dance?" He was stunned, his lips curled into a smile. "Would you like to dance with me?"

"Benedict, you don't have to."

"But I want to."