Chapter 10

My eyes were blood shot from a lack of sleep. I was sure I could throw up I was so nervous. I stared up at the ceiling for a few minutes just thinking about how quickly my life has changed.

I rolled out of my bed and began getting dressed for the day. I wore my favorite pale blue dress with embroidery along the bodice and tulip sleeves. I split my hair down the middle and twisted each side back, pinning it out of my face. While the bottom half of my hair was left down to one side.

I joined everyone for breakfast. Everyone was already downstairs, including Anthony. Judging by the lack of attention to me, I assume he waited for me. I took a seat that was empty between him and Daphne. Anthony glanced at me with fear in his eyes. He ran his hands through his hair and stood up.

"Everyone may I have your attention? I have an announcement to make," he took a deep breath, "Amelia and I are to wed in two weeks."

You could hear a pin drop.

"Well this is rather unexpected, my dear. We didn't even know you two were courting," his mother said.

"Yes, well, the whole situation is complicated. We had to make a quick decision," he affirmed.

"Oh Anthony, tell me she's not with child!" Violet voiced.

"No, of course she is not, mother!" He took a second to compose himself.

"If I may," I looked at Anthony and he nodded. "My father has sent a letter informing me of his intention to marry me to someone I do not know, let alone have met. Anthony informed me last night of this letter, and out of kindness and pity, he suggested we wed. Our hopes are that my father will not dare break an engaged couple. I am sorry for the abruptness of the situation and for any stress I've now caused your family."

Daphne rubbed my arm. "It is alright. I know very well that feeling of being promised to someone whom you don't know or like," she said as she glanced at Anthony. "We will do everything to help this arrangement go smoothly. Plus, and I think I can speak for the rest of my siblings, there is no one we'd rather have more as another sister than you, Amelia."

I looked at her, with tears forming in my eyes, and hugged her right there. "Thank you," I cried, "for your genuine kindness and love. Really, I can not thank you all enough." I wiped my tears and stood up, "If you'll all excuse me." I swiftly made my way upstairs to my room again. I needed to decompress before we all left today for the park.

A few moments later, Violet knocked at my door. "May I come in, dearest?" I sat up on my bed as she entered my room. "Oh darling," she said while she hugged me, "I know this can't be easy for you. I came here to let you know that I've always thought of you as another daughter to me. I know that this new stage in your life will have its ups and downs, but I've seen how Anthony is with you. He truly cares for you. You both will get through this together. I can assure you of that." She stood up while holding my hands, smiling, before she departed.

I know Anthony has always liked me. The way he kisses me fills my soul. He makes me feel as no other person has made me feel before.

I stood, running my hands over my dress smoothing it and proceeded to walk back downstairs. Anthony was waiting for me at the bottom while the rest of his family was already in their carriages leaving. "Are you ready to go, my dear?" I took his arm as he escorted me outside.

"Anthony, there's no chaperone?" I hesitated.

"I know. Because it's a sunny day out, I thought we could take the open carriage. It could just be us and we could speak together without having others, such as my family, listening in," he offered.

"Ok, but only as long as we won't make anymore of a spectacle of ourselves."

"We're announcing our engagement. There's hardly anything most impactful than that to the ton!" he declared. I took his hand as he helped me into the carriage and we set off.

It was a short ride, only about 5 minutes long. We both got out and met with his family. We strolled, arms interlocked, shoulder to shoulder. We greeted many families of the ton as we passed them. Eyes were all over us. He squeezed my arm consolingly due to all of the whispers. We continued on in silence, simply enjoying each other's company and the scenery, until we sat down on a nearby bench. Hyacinth and Gregory chased each other in the grass. The others had gone of to speak to some friends nearby.

"You've been quiet since we left. Is everything ok?" Anthony asked me.

"Yes," I lied. "Just quiet I guess."

He knew better. He has enough siblings to know when someone is lying to him, however he chose not to push further. He just smiled.

Portia Featherington came over to see us. "Good afternoon, Lord Bridgerton and Lady Windsor. I thought I was going mad when I saw you two together. I thought there's no situation for you two to be courting, although you both seem to look happy together. I had heard of a wedding fast approaching. I'd just like to say that I'm very excited to be invited."

Anthony stood up, in front of me but next to Portia. "What makes you think we wouldn't be together?"

"It's just I didn't think Lady Windsor was your preference, my lord," she presumed.

"And what exactly is 'my preference', Lady Featherington?" His chest raised and lowered harshly as his fingernails dug into his palms, trying to keep himself collected.

"Well, excuse my bluntness my lord, but I thought you'd be interested in someone of more status or beauty."

"Lady Featherington, you are far out of line! Who I chose to marry is my decision. Status or wealth mean nothing, especially when it is associated with rudeness and displeasure. Lady Windsor may not come from a notable background, however she is bright, caring, brilliant and far more beautiful than anyone of the ton. You may receive an invitation, but do not think for one second that it is out of kindness. Rather it would be out of mere societal duty," he concluded. "We shall be leaving now, Amelia." He held out his hand for me to take. I did and then slipped my arm through his. Both of us and the rest of the family left for our carriages without any acknowledgement of anyone.