Chapter 5

I hurried into the main entrance, attempting to escape Anthony. Making my way towards the stairs, I had no choice but to pass Violet, "I'm terribly sorry Lady Bridgerton, but I'm feeling ill at the moment, so I'll be heading up to bed earlier than I intended. Good night. It's been a lovely evening!" I flashed a slight smile to hopefully ward off any suspicion of something wrong and ran into the hallway and up the stairs.

Benedict, Colin, and Daphne had been standing not too far away from their mother and saw me run out of the room. They decided to chase after me to make sure I was alright. As they all made it to the hallway threshold, Benedict turned around to see if anyone was watching and noticed Anthony walking back inside. He balled his hands into a fist, not knowing if anything had happened, but furious at the thought of it.

I slammed my door shut and slumped face down over onto my bed, sobbing and shaking. I heard a rapping on the door.

"Go away, please. I wish to be alone."

"Amelia, it's Daphne. Is everything alright? We just want to help," she reassured.

"Yes I'm fine," my voice cracked proving I was not. Daphne came in, whispering to her brothers to stay outside first. "I'm okay, Daphne, really. I'm just not feeling well and would like to rest." She walked over to me and sat next to me on the bed silent at first.

She gently rubbed my back, "I know what okay looks like. If this is your version of okay, I know I've been okay too. So I'll give you two choices, either I'll stay here and we can talk, or I'll leave you and maybe tomorrow I can help. I don't mean to be pushy. I just want to help if you'll let me."

I sighed deeply, my lungs shaking as I exhaled, and sat up beside her. "If I do choose to talk now, it must stay between us. I trust you not to tell, and if I'm being honest with you and myself, I really don't want to feel alone right now. I just don't know how to say what happened."

"I'm sorry, it's alright. I promise I will not tell a soul. Why don't you start from the beginning?"

"Well, you see, that's complicated too," I fell backwards onto the bed with my legs dangling off the edge.

"So it's about a man?"

"Try two," I whispered.

"Have you been harmed?"

"No, no, I am physically okay, but part of the issue here is that you know both of the individuals. I don't want to make an awkward situation."

"Amelia, the situation is what it is. If it's my brothers, just tell me," she stated matter of fact to which I just nodded 'yes'. "Right, so which one does done the most damage to your heart? Or should I just assume Anthony?"

All I could do was stare up at the ceiling, watching a spider dance across it.

"Okay, well, whatever he had done, I'm certain that he wasn't thinking like he should've been, so I'll apologize on behalf of his impulsivity. You don't have to say any more if you aren't comfortable. Just tell me, would you like me to call up some tea and maybe some biscuits?" She smiled comfortingly as she stood up.

"Yes that would probably help," I smiled and stood up as well to hug her. "Thank you, Daphne. You're a true confidante." She opened my door to leave, telling Colin and Benedict that I wished to be alone and I'm alright.

"It was Anthony, wasn't it?" Benedict implored in a hushed tone all worked up.

"I'm sworn to secrecy, Benedict, so I won't tell anyone anything that was said in there unless she says otherwise. Even if I could tell, I wouldn't. It's not yours to know."

However, Benedict knew better.

He charged downstairs with Colin and Daphne following close behind. Both of them were trying to reason with him to calm him down, but that was not working. He stood just inside the ballroom, fuming, knowing that his siblings would not want to make a spectacle of themselves. He knew he was safe here. He ventured over to Anthony, who had been staring at the doorway since they all left.

"Brother, if you wish to ruin someone's night, you should really make it your own," Benedict muttered.

"I'd be careful not to start something you cannot finish, brother," Anthony warned. "I suggest that if you have something you'd like to say to me, we should discuss it anywhere but here."

"Fine, let's go to your study."

"What now? Are we not all busy?" he retorted.

Benedict got up close to his brother's face and hissed in his ear, "Is it possible that only one of us has tried to be busy? I do not mean to give you orders, brother, but I need you in the study room now." Anthony scowled at him and huffed as they all snuck upstairs to the study, shutting the door behind them.

They stood in silence before Benedict balled his right fist and rushed at Anthony about to throw a punch when Colin held him back, saying, "I don't think that'll help much, brother."

Daphne turned to Anthony, "Would you like to tell us why Amelia is sat on her bed distressed and in tears after being with you?"

"Actually, no I'd rather not. It is simply none of your affairs, and I can assure you all that I did nothing to harm her. I would never do that."

"Well, you must've done something to distress her so!" Benedict shouted in frustration.

"Me! Perhaps it was you! You're the one who kissed her," Anthony announced rather loudly.

Daphne and Colin spun around to look at Benedict. "Tell me you didn't," Daphne begged. Ben didn't say anything. He just didn't look at anyone directly. "I'm going to bed! You two childish boys can sort things out amongst yourselves. You both are being ridiculous. There's a girl down the hall, clearly hurt, and no matter which one of you did it, you both obviously care for her in one way or another so fix this." Then she turned to Anthony, "And seriously brother, while courting one lady, that you've made clear you intend to propose to, you're making advances towards another?"

"It's not that simple, Daphne!" he argued.

"No, Anthony, it is. If you truly love someone, it is. Good night to all of you." She left the room. Colin just shook his head and left too.

"She's right, you know? It is simple. Just pick one of them, Anthony. Either choose Edwina, whom you are already courting, or our friend and guest, off crying alone in her room. The sooner you decide, the sooner people can be spared from anymore heartbreak." Ben left his brother alone. Anthony slumped into his desk chair. He poured himself a glass of whiskey before holding his head in his hands.

Downstairs, guests were leaving, including the Sharmas. Edwina hadn't seen Anthony in a over an hour. She figured whatever he was called to must've been urgent, but she had wished he had said good night before leaving. As her and her sister went to bed that night, she wondered if he would be this way throughout their relationship.