Twenty-Two

Mary's Point of View
I stood in front of the mirror looking at my wedding dress. "Mary it is stunning" Kenna said looking at me in my wedding dress. "Do you think Francis will like it?" I asked "Darling Mary, I think Francis would gawk at you if you were wearing a sheet." Catherine said straightening out my veil. "Thank you for helping me with my dress Catherine, it means a lot." I said "I could not be prouder to call you my daughter in law." She held my hand. "Thank you Catherine." I squeezed her hand. "Your grace, Prince Francis requests your presence in the gardens." The maid said. "Okay thank you, could I have help getting out of my dress?" I asked, the maids helped me out of my wedding dress and into my regular dress. "Thank you" I said to the hand maidens. "All the preparations are all underway at the Notre Dome, it's going to be the wedding of the year." Catherine said "You have been so helpful with planning everything, I can't thank you enough." I said "It's no problem at all, I love doing these type of things. You should go find Francis I'm sure he is eagerly waiting for you." She said, I smiled and made my way towards the gardens. As I made my way down the outdoor walkway, I saw Francis sitting with Olivia. Of fucking course. Apparently she is "going through a lot". Francis told me all about how she has an Great Aunt who passed away, who she only met once. She also did not bother to attend the funeral. I am not trying to be judgmental or insensitive but if I was so distraught over my Great Aunt's death I would go to her funeral. She is also upset about a failed courtship. Once again, not trying to be judgmental, but what man would want to be with her when she is all over my Fiancé? I understand he feels bad he ended things with her, she thought they were going to get married, but I am not comfortable with them spending time together. I know women like her. As I walked towards them Francis saw me and said something to her. She stood up and walked towards me, she looked me up and down then kept walking. No bow or even a smile. "Hi love." He smiled and pulled me into him, i turned so he only could kiss my cheek. He looked confused. Francis is not an idiot so I'm not understanding how he is so naïve to what she is doing, and so naïve to why I'm upset. "Hello." I said "Uh is everything okay?" He asked "I don't know is it?" I asked "Are you upset with me?" He asked "Why would I be upset with you?" I asked "Okay Mary, stop answering my questions with questions. What is going on?" He asked "Why were you talking to her?" I asked "Mary I told you, she is going through a lot." He said "Quite honestly I do not care what she is going through." I said "Mary I thought you were better than that, Olivia and I have known each other for years. We are still friend and friends should be able to confide in each other." He said "You know what Francis I thought you were smarter than this. She does not want you to be a confidant. She wants you back." I said "Mary that is ridiculous, her Aunt died she is struggling." He said "Yes her Aunt died but I do not think she is nearly as upset about it as she is presenting herself to be to you." I said "You're really saying she is lying about her grief? Mary that is crazy." He said "I am not being crazy. Normally when someone wants to grieve a loved one they go to their funeral. Or they go stay with family so they can all grieve together. But Olivia did neither of those things, her Aunt's funeral was less than a days ride away at her family's estate. And where was she? Here with you." I said "Mary I don't know what place of insecurity this is coming from but you need to stop. I love you and you know that. Olivia will always be someone very important to me, but you are more important." He said "Insecurity?" I scoffed "This is not an insecurity. But if I am more important then send her away just like you did in Scotland." I said "I did not send her away in Scotland, it was her choice to come back, and I will not send her away now." He said "I wonder if this is what your Father said to your Mother to justify Diane being around." I said "Do not compare me to my Father, I am nothing like him." He began to get visibly angry. "Really? Then why are you acting like him?" I asked, he stormed past me and I saw Olivia standing about 50 feet away. Of course.